PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth going out of your way for 100% gas?

CXTKRS1
05-09-2011, 01:12 PM
I know some stations around here still say they sell only gasoline that is not an E10 mix. My vehicle is not setup for flex fuel so I was wondering is their any benefit to running the pure gasoline vs just using the E10 most stations around here sell?

TexXBox
05-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Since 10 to 15% ethanol fuels have been on the market for several years now and the fuel injection system on our cars is designed to deal with it, I would say no.

Flex fuel cars are designed to run E85 fuel which is 85 percent ethanol and something our cars would certainly choke on.

The only vehicles that would definitely benefit from 100% gas are older cars that mechanically meter their fuel via carburetors or mechanical fuel injection pumps that were calibrated for the different fuel properties and have delicate parts in their systems that are adversely affected by the corrosive properties of alcohol itself and the water it brings along with it.

Resolve
05-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Actually our cars do benefit from gas with no ethanol. A friend of mine locally found a store that uses pure gasoline (a few store in some areas around us do because of people with boats, a few store by the waterways carry fuel with no ethanol) and he actually gained a few MPGs. Now as far as going way out the way to find it may not be a benefit. but as far as providing a benefit if you can get it. yes you should see a slight benefit.