PDA

View Full Version : Engine Torque Damper for the XD

bobolinko
08-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Since I couldn't buy a setup, I fabbed one myself.

the damper was $45.99 + shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390033914337&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123

The mounting bars purchased from Home Depot $6

3 hours work.

:party36::party36: IT Works !

TheLittleDeviant
08-03-2009, 01:57 PM
can you feel a difference in the way it idles drives etc???????

bobolinko
08-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Yah, I like the positive yank on pulling out especially when shifting, and no more the waa-waa when punching to the next gear.:gathering:

SciFion
08-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Did you do the welding yourself?

TheLittleDeviant
08-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Yah, I like the positive yank on pulling out especially when shifting, and no more the waa-waa when punching to the next gear.:gathering:

Really? The waa waa is so annoying...

maybe I will look into this as well...

bobolinko
08-04-2009, 12:04 PM
No welding required.

Just bent 2 pieces of flat iron to form the mounting bracket, and drilled the holes to bolt them to the necessary points. 2 bars, 4 holes. Not hard, just must make sure the angles are where you want them to be. I used a piece of wire hanger to make the template for the bending, which was done in an old bench vise. came out pretty good, I'd say... :>)

SciFion
08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah I'd say so too. So you can really feel the difference after the install?

XDevolution
12-10-2010, 12:36 PM
No welding required.

Just bent 2 pieces of flat iron to form the mounting bracket, and drilled the holes to bolt them to the necessary points. 2 bars, 4 holes. Not hard, just must make sure the angles are where you want them to be. I used a piece of wire hanger to make the template for the bending, which was done in an old bench vise. came out pretty good, I'd say... :>)

when reffering to the flat iron are you talkin about the mounting brackets purchased at home depot? cus im really interest in this project. and did you paint it yourself or it came like that.

xd_kidd
12-10-2010, 01:24 PM
so what it do again? lol

bobolinko
07-26-2011, 04:59 PM
when reffering to the flat iron are you talkin about the mounting brackets purchased at home depot? cus im really interest in this project. and did you paint it yourself or it came like that.

just bought the flat-iron from Home Depot and bent it to the angles I wanted in a vise, sanded drilled and painted them red like in the pix. took about 1.5 hours start to fini. It is REALLY quite simple. The shock tower bolts are a little hard to put in, cause the bolts need to be short enough to fit in the hole and clear the heads, but long enough to have a secure mount. The Bracket is easy enough to adjust by twisting, bending even after bolting to the shock towers, and before putting on the Damper assembly. The damper I got came with a 90 degree mount which I attached to the left side, front (by the engine cover) There was an un-used threaded hole there already.

hope this helps you!

xd_kidd
07-26-2011, 05:12 PM
I been looking for this post for awhile. Still dnt kno exacly what it do... =/ lol

simmons0613
07-30-2011, 02:21 PM
do you think it is beneficial to do on a auto?

XDevolution
07-30-2011, 03:17 PM
do you think it is beneficial to do on a auto?

i think it would be beneficial only if u road race alot and let the trans shift at its max point alot. i had interest in this awhile ago but i dont have the resources to bend nor do i have the patience to do a project like this. but it was a good idea and write up

simmons0613
07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
...I think I may do anyways. It looks good:bleh:

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Hey bobolinko, what did you use as the brackets?

simmons0613
08-05-2011, 02:56 PM
ok well here was my attempt at installing a dampener. I have to redo the support bar its not strong enough obviously. I had to work with what I got. So that will be saved for another day.

Resolve
08-05-2011, 03:49 PM
as for what they do. They dampen the engine movement under acceleration. by doing this it allows more power to be transferred to the ground rather than lose it through engine movement/wheel hop. type of transmission and rpm level really has no mojor affect has no affect.

Basically it is like a traction bar on RWD. This is a traction bar for a FWD

simmons0613
08-05-2011, 05:41 PM
I had to take it off because the brace wasn't strong enough and rattled the screws loose and make a loud noise inside the cabin. So when I get more time I will design a much more strong/ permanent brace.