PDA

View Full Version : 93 octane

GoForBroke
09-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Has anyone switched to 93 octane, or really anything higher than 87. If so what were the results?

xd_kidd
09-23-2011, 09:43 PM
It harms ur engine. I used to do it. Run regular. And welcome!

GoForBroke
09-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks man. Really helped

Resolve
09-26-2011, 12:17 PM
You got any data to back up the claim of it harming your engine?

It wont harm your engine, but not really going to make a huge difference when running stock engine. I used to run a full tank of 93 like every third or fourth tank in my xB just to run the cleaner fuel in there since the 93 in like shell has the cleaning agents. it is the same as adding one of the octane booster/cleaners but less money.

I also used to run the mid grade as normal fuel for me in my xB due to the compression ratio.

CXTKRS1
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Their is a small chance that residue can build up if the fuel is not completely burnt but beyond that no harm is going to come to the engine. You will be pissing away a few bucks everytime you fill up though. :boxed:

Whack-A-Mole
09-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Their is a small chance that residue can build up if the fuel is not completely burnt but beyond that no harm is going to come to the engine. You will be pissing away a few bucks everytime you fill up though. :boxed:

This has been addressed before on here I believe. I pretty much agree with that, but it can be a little more than that. When I was younger I borrowed my Dads new truck, drove it for awhile, and to show my appreciation filled it with 93 octane (though the manufacturer suggest 87). He was pissed, stating "Doing that doing that would cause his truck to need to continually need to use that expensive gas". Now a few fill ups is not going to do that, but doing it continuously can. Higher octane gas is meant to be a slower more controlled burn for higher heat and compression engines to stave off detonation. Engines designed to run on lower octane will not completely burn the higher octane and it will saturate any carbon deposits you may have. Now if you have a car designed to run on low grade but it knocks/pings then high octane will help it not to. Here's a nice little article. http://www.state.mn.us/mn/externalDocs/Commerce/Gasoline_Octane_Facts_102902052227_OctaneFacts.pdf

xd_kidd
09-26-2011, 10:10 PM
so I'm right. Right? Lol

Resolve
09-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Lets say it this way.

Don't run it to think you are going to get anything better than you can with 87 on a relatively stock engine. But running 93 is not actually going to destroy your engine. Just waste money on these engines.

This is one of those questions where you will have the left side and right side and very few people in the middle. I personally am in the middle. I don't see a reason to run it in these cars, unless you figure out how to boost it or increase the compression ratio. But running it wouldn't be detremental and cause engine problems in 20k miles. lol.

OH and by the way I currently run 87 in ours :) have since day one