PDA

View Full Version : HID Lights- Need Help!

KylexD
12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I would like to get some opinions on the best place online to purchase HID lights. I would like to get the "real" thing, and I want them to look really good. I also want high and low beams, and does that come in a kit together? Also the brightness of them, i think there is 3000 up to 10000?...and ive heard 5000 or 8000 is the best? Just want some info here, thanks all!!!

XDevolution
12-10-2011, 11:16 AM
I got my kit at DDMtuning.com. Im very satisfied with everything, i only bought the low beam kit that ran me 45 shipped the hi/low beam kit might be like $65. and i purchase 6000k. they have a color chart that helps u pick which color you would like the best. if ur going for brightness 4500-6000k is the best. but check it out for urself. our bulbs our HB4/9003 i think.

jester4666
12-10-2011, 12:32 PM
i got my high/low kit from http://www.tophids.com and they run $65, they are 10k. i was told the brightest is 8k. and yes, he's right about the bulbs.

CXTKRS1
12-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Wrong, brightest is 4300K (this is why all OE units run in this heat range). The higher the light temperature the lower the light output and increased glare.

jester4666
12-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Wrong, brightest is 4300K (this is why all OE units run in this heat range). The higher the light temperature the lower the light output and increased glare.

then you need to set my vendor straight. i'm going off what he told me.

xDizzle
12-12-2011, 08:52 AM
I got my kit from eBay I'm running 30000k which is like a darker blue. I like them and I haven't had no problem with them. Its all up to u tho man

Resolve
12-12-2011, 09:45 AM
I got my kit from eBay I'm running 30000k which is like a darker blue. I like them and I haven't had no problem with them. Its all up to u tho man30,000K should not be blue it should be purple maybe pink. If it is a dark blue then it is not a true 30,000K and being ebay I believe it is a knock off with a high number. Plus your visbility is greatly reduced.

I heard DDM is good. I would stay between 4300k to 8000k. As stated the lower the number the greater the light output and the better the visibility.

But I am done with HIDs personally. The light scatter sucks in our housings it was nice having them and you could see down the road but it sucked if you were looking at them. you have to aim them all the way down to keep from blinding people. And they get hot and my housing near the HID is discolored now due to the heat. Plus when they go out you have to either hopefully have a place nearby to buy bulbs, if it is the bulb and not the ballast. or weight until they are shipped tp you. Until I can get a housing made for them or a car that comes with them I think I will stick to stock bulbs.

KylexD
12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Nice, thanks for all the info. I have all I need to know now. The only thing worrying me is burning my housings......I dont want that to happen. lmao

xDizzle
12-12-2011, 07:00 PM
30,000K should not be blue it should be purple maybe pink. If it is a dark blue then it is not a true 30,000K and being ebay I believe it is a knock off with a high number. Plus your visbility is greatly reduced.

I heard DDM is good. I would stay between 4300k to 8000k. As stated the lower the number the greater the light output and the better the visibility.

But I am done with HIDs personally. The light scatter sucks in our housings it was nice having them and you could see down the road but it sucked if you were looking at them. you have to aim them all the way down to keep from blinding people. And they get hot and my housing near the HID is discolored now due to the heat. Plus when they go out you have to either hopefully have a place nearby to buy bulbs, if it is the bulb and not the ballast. or weight until they are shipped tp you. Until I can get a housing made for them or a car that comes with them I think I will stick to stock bulbs.

I'm going but what it said depending on the company the colors are different amount of ks such as white can be 6k 8k or 4300k it all depends on the vendor mine aren't a deep deep blue but they are blue they are true HIDs tho. My visibilty isnt too bad either lol

KylexD
12-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Im not finding anything on DDM, I searched that number you put up, no luck. I went to shop by vehicle and it just showed me cleaning stuff for scions.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

I found this site http://www.customhid.com/ and i guess they are a little pricey, but you choose make, model, and year, and it gives you what you need. Anyone ever dealt with these people? I just want to make sure what im getting is legit.

Resolve
12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
To Kevin, Not bashing you bro just each company markets and promotes differently and based on the materials use the colors will be different at different levels. If they are working for you great but I believe that if it is a 30,000k it should be in the purpleish range not a deep dark blue. I seen all types with 15000 that are pink and 15,000k that are bright blue. all depending on manufaturer and marketing. As for the white the roughly 6000k is about the whitest you can get 4500 will have a hints more of yellow and 8000k like my old ones will have hints of blue. most people will say they are white though.

But at end of the day if you are happy with what you got that is all that matters no matter what the BOX or other people say. I think yours look good myself if it is worth anything

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Nice, thanks for all the info. I have all I need to know now. The only thing worrying me is burning my housings......I dont want that to happen. lmaoIt's not bad and most people wont notice unless you are right up at the housing and looking through the lense. But I noticed it on mine. Basically the HID create more heat and the heat travels up and the opening you put the bulb through the housing just above it is discolored and looks like the reflective coating is gone. I would say the spot is about 1/4 inch wide by about 1/4 inch high maybe 1/2 inch

and here is the DDM link just select the buld type H4 and the color scale you want

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

KylexD
12-13-2011, 03:58 PM
---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

[/COLOR]It's not bad and most people wont notice unless you are right up at the housing and looking through the lense. But I noticed it on mine. Basically the HID create more heat and the heat travels up and the opening you put the bulb through the housing just above it is discolored and looks like the reflective coating is gone. I would say the spot is about 1/4 inch wide by about 1/4 inch high maybe 1/2 inch

and here is the DDM link just select the buld type H4 and the color scale you want

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W[/QUOTE]

Ok, I went to that link and see what I need. I can choose the wattage and from what I was reading on the site its a difference in the color, there is 35W and 55W. Im not worried about the color being washed a little bit, but since the 55W is 40% brighter....wont that create more heat?

For the bulb type I picked H4/HB2/9003 Hi/Lo cause I want high and low beams.

What I dont know is what I choose for HID Harness, Error Eliminator, and Adapter Cables?

Resolve
12-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Stick with the 35W.

Don't worry about HID Harness, Error Eliminator, Or Adaptor Cables. The high/low kit will come with the relay and wiring for wiring up the high/lows.

jester4666
12-13-2011, 10:04 PM

i haven't seen any discoloration with my housings yet, but i tinted mine as well. as far as replacement goes with who i got mine from, they are local. only about a 20 min drive or a phone call to their mobile unit to get what i need.

Resolve
12-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Well the discoloration is not huge on mine and if you are just looking at the headlight you may not notice. but it is there.

But some people may not have the issue at all. just stating my experience.

KylexD
12-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Stick with the 35W.

Don't worry about HID Harness, Error Eliminator, Or Adaptor Cables. The high/low kit will come with the relay and wiring for wiring up the high/lows.

Sweet, thanks for that.