PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for install of TRD springs?

CXTKRS1
08-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Between school and work I'm kinda short on time to have my car down for a prolonged period of time. I work at a tire shop so I was thinking about paying one of the mechanics in cash and see what he can do. What would be a fair offer for the mechanic?

misformartin
08-12-2009, 06:00 PM
a few beers.. the rear is cake and can be done by yourself.. the front requires removing the front cowl area... kina a pita if you have a good 2 hours you can do it yourselft

Cylon_xD
08-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I did mine in about three hours with no previous experience, but the key is having good tools - a full sized floor jack and short jack stands is best, a couple of large 1/2"-drive socket wrenches with extensions and deep-well metric sockets, and a spring compressor for the front struts... Oh, a large-offset 17mm box wrench and a 6mm allen wrench is a MUST to get the top nut of the struts off, because they are recessed. The allen wrench holds the center shaft so it doesn't turn.

Hmm, I didn't have to remove any cowl, I assume you're talking about the plastic piece where the wipers are mounted?? There's still a metal lip under that plastic that gets in the way of removing the top strut nut. THAT was the most PITA issue I had - I had to cut down the allen wrench so the short side was only about 3/4" long, there is barely any clearance to get the top nut off the front struts with the boxwrench on the nut and the allen wrench on the shaft! :emotions122:

misformartin
08-13-2009, 12:10 PM
well the metal lip iw what i removed made the install a breeze and only took an extra 5 min... : )

ibeDAMD
08-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Between school and work I'm kinda short on time to have my car down for a prolonged period of time. I work at a tire shop so I was thinking about paying one of the mechanics in cash and see what he can do. What would be a fair offer for the mechanic?

your from louisiana right? Yeah umm find you the right scikos and they will do it for beer or Mt Dew lol. Come to BR we'll take care of ya! When we did mine, i got the guys subway and some Dew and they were good to go =]

rhino74s
08-13-2009, 06:00 PM
^ what she said!
We've done 4 xD spring swaps so far, have all the tools.... just need you to come visit.

CXTKRS1
08-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Hmm, this is very tempting. Have to hit you guys up when I plan to do the springs.

ibeDAMD
08-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Hmm, this is very tempting. Have to hit you guys up when I plan to do the springs.

just let me know so i can let the guys know!!!

Cylon_xD
08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
well the metal lip iw what i removed made the install a breeze and only took an extra 5 min... : )

Aw, crap... i didn't think that metal lip was removeable, thought it was part of the car body, so I didn't even try to take all that off - wow, sure would have made it hella easier, LOL! None of the instuctions I found anywhere said anything about being able to remove it... ah well, I'll have to remember that for the next time...! :signs75:

TheLittleDeviant
08-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Dont worry Cylon xD, I had no idea either... bum bum baddum.... oh bummer.... so sad..........