PDA

View Full Version : Installed Scion Bug Deflector

SJMiller
11-08-2014, 10:06 PM
I just installed the Scion PU500-52023 Bug Deflector. For some reason Scion only sells it in Canada. I ordered it from Stampede Toyota Scion Calgary, Alberta - Jeff Lange, Parts Advisor, Phone: 403-291-2119; Email: [email protected]. I tried to work with a couple of other Canadian dealers, but Jeff was the only one who would handle my order. He usually works on Saturdays too.

Part was $108.00 & shipping was $70.00. Not cheap, but it was the only deflector I wanted on the xD.

Installation wasn't too bad. Took my wife & I about an hour to install. In theory you could do it alone, but it was a huge help to have a second set of hands to ensure I didn't scratch it during the process. It was very similar to the Scion xB Bug Deflector which is also only sold in Canada & which I'd installed a few months ago.

I should have asked Jeff for a copy of the installation instructions when I placed the order, but didn't think of it. Fortunately, he emailed the installation instructions when he sent the invoice. Just another example of the great service he provides.

I realize this isn't for everyone, but I'm really pleased with how it looks. Given the cost & availability I won't see one on many xDs on the roads here in NC.

(It was cold out today so I only washed the hood before installation, so don't look too closely at the dirt & bugs on the bumper.)

SJMiller
11-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Don't know if anyone else will encounter this, but at 40+ mph there is a "whistle" after installation. Maybe the Canadians like that, but I don't care for the extra noise, so I got out some tape & started taping off sections between the deflector edge & the hood to determine where the noise was coming from. After a little trial & error I discovered that the edge of the deflector from the Scion hood emblem to the edge of the headlights is the source.

Should be a simple fix. I've ordered some automotive weatherstripping, so I can remove the deflector add the weatherstripping under the "offending" edge & reinstall once the gap is sealed there should be no more "whistling".

In spite of this little aggravation I still love the way the deflector looks on the car & the noise should be simple to stop. Even if they only sell the deflector in Canada you'd think someone at Scion/Toyota would've figured this out & adjusted the deflector or included the weatherstripping or something.

leenie
12-09-2014, 07:52 PM
hi sjm I just got my bug shield and installed it sunday thanks again for the info where to get one luv the way it looks I was wondering what auto molding did u buy to stop the whistle thanks jim

SJMiller
12-09-2014, 08:09 PM
When I measured it I figured I needed an automotive grade weatherstripping that was at least 1/2" tall. I found "Front Rail Seal 5 1/2 FT" on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0WVV72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for $12.50.

I cut the strip in to then measured the size I needed for the area from the Logo to the inside edge of the headlight on each side. Works great.

You could get by with something a little smaller, if you can find it, but I'm pleased. I had enough to also replaced the little inadequate weatherstripping that Toyota/Scion provided for the outer sections too while I was at it.

No whistle, should be long lasting. Oh, I taped it to the paint just like the OEM instructions for their pathetically small weatherstripping pieces - that way any movement/rubbing will not wear through the paint.

Hope you enjoy your deflector!