PDA

View Full Version : Premature Brake Wear?

gochak@
08-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Can anyone tell be if they have had problems with their brake pads wearing out to quickly.

SciFion
08-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Not me, at 10,000 miles the tech said I still had over 80% pad left!

TheLittleDeviant
09-01-2009, 09:08 AM
I replaced my pads at 55,000 miles... I upgraded to the TRD's...

mcbrew
09-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I would word the question a little differently:

Are the brake pads on your xD wearing out faster than the brake pads on your previous car?

When TheLittleDeviant says he replaced his at 55k, I would want to know if his previous car lasted 20k or 100k. See what I mean?

It is not unusual for one person to wear pads out 10x faster than another person. It has a lot to do with how you drive and where you drive.

TheLittleDeviant
09-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I would word the question a little differently:

Are the brake pads on your xD wearing out faster than the brake pads on your previous car?

When TheLittleDeviant says he replaced his at 55k, I would want to know if his previous car lasted 20k or 100k. See what I mean?

It is not unusual for one person to wear pads out 10x faster than another person. It has a lot to do with how you drive and where you drive.

Good point, unfortunately I can not be of much help as on my previous 2 cars I had placed about 40,000 miles on each one before selling them and did not replace them on either vehicle.

Might I also add though that apples need to be compared to apples. The brake pad thickness on either of my last vehicles is most likely not the same as my xD.

mcbrew
09-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Might I also add though that apples need to be compared to apples. The brake pad thickness on either of my last vehicles is most likely not the same as my xD.

You are correct. What I really meant was this: If you are complaining about short brake pad/rotor life, did you also get shorter than average life out of your previous car's brakes?

A few cars ago, I drove a 1983 Mercedes 300D. I would rarely get more than 40k miles out of a set of brakes... and I drove it for 210,000 miles. However, that wasn't unusual for that model. My next car, a 2003 VW Golf, reached 125,000 miles before I had to replace the original pads. Because of my commute and the way that I drive, I typically get better than average life out of my brakes.

GuitarCrazyo
11-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Nice article... we really need the next step though... categorizing the pads available on the market with the categories listed in the article. Otherwise, we just have to decifer the brake pad manufacturers marketing.

D.Plork
11-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Actually many autp part manufacturers do this. For example when GM came out with the the Chevy Malibu they had semi-mettalic pads. After 1,000s of complaints they released an organic brake pad that created less brake dust.

NikoXD
12-16-2009, 02:28 PM
I think my front pads are already worn at 24K miles. The low pad sensor scraping just started making noise last night. I called the dealership and ask them why the pads are already worn at 24K and they said it's my driving style. I think it's BS...I've owned 3 other Toyotas and this is the quickest pad wear I have ever had. All the other cars pad wear was around 45-50K miles. :mad:

TheLittleDeviant
12-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Welcome to the site Niko, as I said earlier, my OE pads made it to 55K before I upgraded to the TRD's, might I also add that the OE pads had not started squealing yet... I just wanted the brake upgrade.

NikoXD
12-16-2009, 04:52 PM
I am also going to upgrade the pads and go away from the OE.

Thanks.

TheLittleDeviant
12-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I am also going to upgrade the pads and go away from the OE.

Thanks.

You should contact Tim from TRDSparks, I know he can get the TRD pads at a good price.

He is one of our preferred vendors.