PDA

View Full Version : TPMS and Tire Pressures on Aftermarket Tires

Cylon_xD
10-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Question: I have aftermarket 18" wheels with 225/40/18 Nexxen 5000 tires on my xD. The sidewalls on the tires say "Maximum load 1235 pounds at 44 psi maximum pressure." They do not say anything about "Inflate to xx pounds"... I think the tire shop had told me they had set my tires to 38 pounds, that was about two months ago, but now my TPMS light just came on in the dash yesterday, so I'm wondering if 38 pounds might be too low. I'm assuming that low profile tires are inflated to a higher pressure than standard tires would be... none of the tires look even slightly low, but I haven't checked the pressures on them yet, gotta find my dang tire guage...

So what pressure should I actually run these tires at? Is it safe to run them right at max pressure? I would like to run them a little harder than the normal pressure, for a smidge better gas milege...

Hopefully I didn't hit a bump too hard right at the spot of the valve stem on the tire, and damaged one of the sensors or something... and I'm wondering how you would know which TPMS is faulty if one is sending a bad signal to the control module, without paying to have all four tires dismounted?

TheLittleDeviant
10-12-2009, 08:20 AM
All four dismounted is the only real way to see which one is damages, IF it even damaged at all, I would suggest first just checking what the air pressure is in them, they could have just gotten a little lot from bumps/daily driving. I wouldnt go above 40 PSI in them BTW... I am on Toyo Proxes and run them at 36 PSI

Cylon_xD
10-12-2009, 11:15 AM
OK, found my tire guage and I just checked the tires - all are at about 33 pounds cold except the right rear tire, that one only has 20 pounds in it. Probably got a nail in the tire earlier this week, dang it.

Wow, even with the pressure in that tire down that low, you can't see ANY sag in the sidewall... no visual clue at all that it is low. Guess the TPMS in this case was a good thing!

YELOSUB
10-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Glad you found the problem and I'm glad I switched my TPMS over to my rims :)

Cylon_xD
10-13-2009, 08:06 AM
yep, rear passenger-side tire had a drywall screw in it, right at the edge of the tread. got it patched right away yesterday since I was off work for Columbus Day. I put the tires all back up to about 38 pounds, and the TPMS light is off now...

xdblues
10-21-2009, 05:41 PM
with low profile tires ur not really gonna notice any sidewall sag until your tires drop below like 10 psi you should really try and check them monthly and keep them around 35-40 psi because most tires bleed off an average of 2-5 psi a month