PDA

View Full Version : question about swapping wheels

hissatsu
11-09-2009, 07:26 PM
i just took off my steelies and put on tc stock rims and tires. The tire pressure light stays on whenever im driving. Should i replace the tc stockies' tpms valves with my steelie's valves? Also, if i were to buy new tires for the 17 inch tc rims, what would be the best size to keep the mileage, mpg, mph, etc as close as possible to what it should be? Thanks a lot!!

Cylon_xD
11-09-2009, 08:44 PM
The xD's TPMS system will need reprogrammed for the new ID's of the TPMS sensors from the tC... you may have to have the dealer do that, don't know if a tire shop is able to do that... probably cheaper than swapping sensors - 8 dismounts, 8 re-mounts, and 8 tire balances is quite expensive! Another possibility, Did you verify there is actually TPMS inside those tC wheels? If they were from a tC 2007 or earlier the there might not be any TPMS in those, TPMS wasn't a requirement until cars made after September 2007...

hissatsu
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
i dont remmeber but im pretty sure the stockies came from a earlier model of the tc (before 2007) -- even so will i be able to put tpms in them? i want to get rid of the tire pressure light since it gets very annoying and i believe unsafe.

also, do you know what size tires i would need?

Cylon_xD
11-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, if the TC wheels don't have any TPMS, then I guess you'll want to put your original ones into those wheels... I believe they will fit, I think I did read that somewhere... ha, you could buy another set of TPMS sensors, but the last time I checked, the ones for the xD were about $130 a piece... ouch... this whole TPMS thing is just a money-making racket...

I put my original TPMS in my aftermarket wheels, but kept my stock wheels and tires for winter use, so they don't have any sensors in them anymore. So, the TPMS light is on in my dash all winter - either you just get used to it being lit, don't pay attention to it, or stick a small piece of black electrical tape over the light to cover it up...

And sorry, I don't really know what size tires to run on those 17" tC wheels, I have 18" x 7.5" wheels on my xD, so I'm running 225/40/18's - you'll need to check with someone else who uses them - but you'll want to keep the outer diameter of the tire the same size as the stock tires were, so it doesn't throw off your speedometer and odometer. Larger wheel, lower profile tire... the stock 16" wheels use a 60 series tire, so as a wild guess, the 17" wheels would need a 50 series tire...? Someone here, help us out with proper tire sizes for tC rims on an xD...

TheLittleDeviant
11-10-2009, 08:40 AM
You will want to use 225/45R17's... and you do get used to having the light on... It doesnt affect any other system on the car. you can even get an inspection sticker with the light on.