PDA

View Full Version : Door Sill Question

tonysxd
01-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Hay guys this may be a dumb question but I was thinking of getting some oem door sill for my xD but my buddy asked me was I getting two or four I told him that and he said that they wouldn't match if Indian get them for the two doors in the back is that true I need to buy four or do I just need the two

Thanks for the future info
Tonysxd

katchkillah
01-11-2010, 06:00 PM
dunno about oem one's the japan ones only get fronts.

tonysxd
01-11-2010, 06:13 PM
yeah i was just looking at the D and from what i can tell the 2 back doors are smaller then the two front so i just gonna get two

katchkillah
01-11-2010, 08:28 PM
here's what i got and only have the front doors.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/katch/white%20xd/istdoorsill.jpg

tonysxd
01-12-2010, 04:05 PM
wow those are nice where did u get them and if you don't mind telling how much were they because my buddy told me the IST stuff was a lil more pricey then the OEM stuff or did i have that wrong sorry new to the tuner stuff

thanks again
Tonysxd

TheLittleDeviant
01-12-2010, 04:10 PM
IST is much pricier, IST parts are for the Japanese version of the xD. (called a Toyota IST in Japan) Getting those parts shipped over here is what costs the most... I usually like to drool over Katch's pics when ever he posts any...

tonysxd
01-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah all the IST suff look really nice but i will I will just go with the OEM door sills thank for all the info You guys Rock !!!!:happy107:

katchkillah
01-12-2010, 07:02 PM
yeah it does run a bit more then the scion stuff. but i like it, keeps me different from most. not all but most. cause there's other's out there just as dumb as me to spend money on it.

tonysxd
01-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Well killah let me say that the money you spent on the small stuff makes it worth it from where i'm standing and quick question where a good place to find the IST emblems ?

katchkillah
01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
ok, you got me on that one. i had a friend get it for me in japan when he was visiting a couple years back (when it first came out) but places like carson toyota has gotten me other things. but on ebay i've heard folks getting it from there.

tonysxd
01-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Ok thanks killah i will check ebay and see what come up but man what luck haveing a buddy pick those up for you thanks again

katchkillah
01-13-2010, 07:04 PM
well they thought i was more crazy cause i didn't even have the car yet.

BowdilxD
02-05-2010, 06:41 PM
I picked up a set of illuminated door sills for $40 off eBay and wondered if someone has a link I could use for install instructions. They're off of a totalled xD so didn't come with instructions. I'm sure I'll need to pick up a few fittings or something to put them in. Thanks for your help!

katchkillah
02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
ugh i forgot where the link went. but i know they got it from trdsparks.

CXTKRS1
02-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Here you go:

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/00016-79820inst.pdf

BowdilxD
02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Wow ! I wasn't really planning on going to all that trouble to install them.....so I guess I'll sell them. Any takers?? $40 plus shipping OEM illuminated door sills with the word Scion on them.

I think I'll just put some LED strip lighting along the underside of the plastic sill protector. I love the illuminated door sills but I didn't realize I'd have to take almost the whole dash out.

katchkillah
02-07-2010, 12:56 AM
yeah it was alotta work. lol

CXTKRS1
02-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Wow ! I wasn't really planning on going to all that trouble to install them.....so I guess I'll sell them. Any takers?? $40 plus shipping OEM illuminated door sills with the word Scion on them.

I think I'll just put some LED strip lighting along the underside of the plastic sill protector. I love the illuminated door sills but I didn't realize I'd have to take almost the whole dash out.

How about this, just install them and run a power source. Either connect them to a switch or if power draw is low enough just leave them on.

Cylon_xD
02-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I would be interested in getting them from you, if you do decide to sell them, Keelie... PM sent.

xdblues
02-10-2010, 01:04 PM
its not that bad to put them in everything comes off pretty easy it only took about an hour for me to put mine in ill dig up some pics later

BowdilxD
02-10-2010, 07:11 PM
I would be interested in getting them from you, if you do decide to sell them, Keelie... PM sent.

They're on their way to you Troy .....Post some pics this spring when you get them installed.

Cylon_xD
02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Just received them today, Keelie, they look real good! Thanks for the door sills!

CXTKRS1
02-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Just received them today, Keelie, they look real good! Thanks for the door sills!

Now get them installed and take pics lol.:boxed:

Cylon_xD
02-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Well, I already told Keelie I wasn't going to be able to install them until spring, I don't have the luxury of a big heated garage to work in over the winter...and there's 3 feet of snow outside right now... so just let me hibernate...! :sleepy10:

TIKI
02-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I have the door sills, my question is: has anyone attempted to change the light color? Would like to know who it is done.

Cylon_xD
02-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Well, since my car color and my interior dome/map lighting is blue LED already, I won't be needing to change mine at all... would be nice if they offered them in different LED colors, though, to go with the different car colors, orange for the RS1s and green for the RS2s, for instance...

Although, you know, I may not even bother to wire mine up right away, they just look good unlit as well... and I've seen them lit on other xDs - even at night they are rather dim, they really need to be be a lot brighter. Since the majority of the car shows I go to are in the daytime, and of those only a rare few have a glow-off competition at night, and the fact I don't have any other glow-off related lighting installed on my car other than the red Cylon Scanning Eye behind my grill, I kinda wonder if it's actually worth all the effort to wire them up, at least for my car...

TIKI
02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
thanks Troy. If you come across something let me know.

Cylon_xD
02-14-2010, 01:01 AM
OK, for those interested in maybe doing an LED swap on the xD door sills, here's a couple pics of the door sill circuit boards, removed from the sills - There are two surface-mount right-angle LEDs soldered to each board, one at either end of the SCION window, with the element shining horizontally facing towards each other... so it would just be a matter of unsoldering and re-soldering some small LEDs... you probably could get away with using small round LEDs with leads, the leads cut real short and bent at right-angles, and just aim them horizontally as well...

Notice one surface-mount LED is broke off and missing on the wired end of the one board - Hey Keelie, you sold me defective sills, lol! Doesn't matter, since I'll hopefully be replacing all the LEDs with some brighter ones anyway... :)

http://troyfrey.com/scion/sills/ledboards.jpg

http://troyfrey.com/scion/sills/ledboards2.jpg

TIKI
02-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks Troy that help alot. Now, what is a good place to order a brighter LED that will fit? Of course a different color.

Cylon_xD
02-14-2010, 10:08 AM
well, I was searching around online, but haven't found those exact right-angle LEDs at all - I wanted to compare brightness specs with other LEDs to find out... the problem with ordering from a electronics parts warehouse online is, you usually have to buy in quantities of 100 or 1000 pieces... :(

TIKI
02-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Do not need a 1000. I will look around. Let you know if if I find anything.

CXTKRS1
02-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Superbrightleds.com or autoillumination.com could probably get you the hook up.

JJGeneral1
02-14-2010, 11:10 PM
or garage 2917 on scionlife.... he sells tons of LED's

Cylon_xD
02-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Well, none of those automotive LED places sell any right-angle surface mount LEDs for edge lighting of panels... that's what these are doing, lighting the edge of the clear plastic plate that's underneath the SCION logo... I'll probably have to just solder in a regular LED lying down horizontally in place of the missing surface-mount one, but the LED must be no bigger than a 3mm T1 case - that's all the space there is between the circuit board and the underside of the sill when it is assembled. A standard-size 5mm LED wont fit.

CXTKRS1
02-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Try contacting phil at oznium, he might be able to hook you up.

BowdilxD
02-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Notice one surface-mount LED is broke off and missing on the wired end of the one board - Hey Keelie, you sold me defective sills, lol! Doesn't matter, since I'll hopefully be replacing all the LEDs with some brighter ones anyway... :)

Sorry about that Troy.....I never even took them apart to inspect them when I saw what was involved in installing them.:flowers2::flowers2:
I used to work at a sign shop and the guy I worked with used alot of LEDs in his custom signage. You may want to check out his site and shoot him an email. His name is Matt Lamborn and he's a great guy that would do anything to help a friend out. Tell him I told you to contact him. He's also an awesome freehand pinstriper on cars and trucks! But he's really into doing new and different things with LEDs and would sell you the few you'd need or have ideas for brighter ones if he has them. His website is www.GoldenOpportunitySigns.com (http://www.GoldenOpportunitySigns.com)

Cylon_xD
02-17-2010, 11:55 PM
lol, I forgive you, Keelie - I wouldn't expect someone to take them all apart like I did. I had lots of fun getting all the sticky adhesive gunk off the back of the sills before I could even take the boards out... i had to "roll" it all off using my thumb and rubbing real hard.