PDA

View Full Version : Problems with putting new 2010 Alpine deck into 2008?

eatmorecarrots
04-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum as I just got an xD 3 days ago. It is very lightly used blue '08. It is pretty base and I'm looking to upgrade the stereo. I have come across a few ads online of people selling the new 2010 alpine / scion head unit (PT545-00102) and really like that it allows for USB (i use a jump drive instead of an ipod) and because it allows for sub / amp outs (I'll be moving those from my old '04 xB under the seats). However, here are my concerns:

- My year has Aux & iPod jack in the lower part of the front console on each side of the 12v power outlet. If I do this swap, will that iPod jack need to be replaced with a USB input? I don't see the USB on the face of those units and I've never seen a 2010 xD in person to see what the Alpine setup is like and what other changes might be necessary.

- Does the 2010 xD with the Alpine head have the same Aux and iPod inputs in the lower dash? Is the 2010 lower dash iPod input actually the USB input advertised or is it still that funky adaptor thing necessary to read song info? Where is the USB input if not there and not on the face?

- Does anyone know of any other issues I might have with this swap - steering wheel controls, etc?

Thanks!

JJGeneral1
04-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum as I just got an xD 3 days ago. It is very lightly used blue '08. It is pretty base and I'm looking to upgrade the stereo. I have come across a few ads online of people selling the new 2010 alpine / scion head unit (PT545-00102) and really like that it allows for USB (i use a jump drive instead of an ipod) and because it allows for sub / amp outs (I'll be moving those from my old '04 xB under the seats). However, here are my concerns:

- My year has Aux & iPod jack in the lower part of the front console on each side of the 12v power outlet. If I do this swap, will that iPod jack need to be replaced with a USB input? I don't see the USB on the face of those units and I've never seen a 2010 xD in person to see what the Alpine setup is like and what other changes might be necessary.

- Does the 2010 xD with the Alpine head have the same Aux and iPod inputs in the lower dash? Is the 2010 lower dash iPod input actually the USB input advertised or is it still that funky adaptor thing necessary to read song info? Where is the USB input if not there and not on the face?

- Does anyone know of any other issues I might have with this swap - steering wheel controls, etc?

Thanks!

the 2010 (i have one) has one port, containing both aux and USB on the driver side of the cigarette lighter. you would probably have to get the "combo" port.

also, wiring harnesses might not match up. you may lose your steering wheel control, or have to re-wire the harness to match the new head unit.

i'd do a lot more research on it before just doing. i don't know if alpine and pioneer have the same connections or not, or even the same color wires going to the same pins on the connectors.

yes, indeed, research a bit more. that's all the info i can give you.

xDTool
04-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Also, compare prices on what the new unit will cost vs. what other aftermarket units cost. there are some nice double din decks that could be had for what youd probably pay for the factory upgrade, that can be adapted to the steering wheel controls, and provide a nicer sound quality, as well as being able to put the USB wherever you want (one of the glove boxes, in the small pocket right in front of the cup holders where mine is)

just a suggestion

eatmorecarrots
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Guys - thanks for the tips. I had not thought about the wiring harnesses not matching up which may not come with that Alpine Scion unit. And I didn't know the USB was a dual USB / Aux port in the new 2010 xD's.

Any deck recommendations would be appreciated. My local shop was not aware of any double dins off the top of his head that would satisfy. Here are my requirements:
- Double din. Navigation not needed.
- must have sufficient sub / amp outputs
- USB (or at least capability) for playing jump drive files is a must (I like the glove box idea)
- Must be directly compatible with my steering wheel controls (not via i.r. remote)
- it would be nice if I didn't lose functionality of my stock Aux and iPod ports in the lower dash (though I wouldn't mind if one had to be replaced with the USB)
- in terms of power, I don't care: it will function as a control unit / transport only with separate amps to all speakers

rage
04-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Guys - thanks for the tips. I had not thought about the wiring harnesses not matching up which may not come with that Alpine Scion unit. And I didn't know the USB was a dual USB / Aux port in the new 2010 xD's.

Any deck recommendations would be appreciated. My local shop was not aware of any double dins off the top of his head that would satisfy. Here are my requirements:
- Double din. Navigation not needed.
- must have sufficient sub / amp outputs
- USB (or at least capability) for playing jump drive files is a must (I like the glove box idea)
- Must be directly compatible with my steering wheel controls (not via i.r. remote)
- it would be nice if I didn't lose functionality of my stock Aux and iPod ports in the lower dash (though I wouldn't mind if one had to be replaced with the USB)
- in terms of power, I don't care: it will function as a control unit / transport only with separate amps to all speakers

with any aftermarket unit.. you will lose the functionality of the aux and ipod ports... them are factory to use with factory radios...
most radios have a remote function that plugs in to the radio and can install a PAC steering wheel control box to use the factory controls...
I have a Kenwood Excelon 9160.. navi double din... has 2 USB's one can use jump drive.. other is ipod.. very nice unit.. i enjoy it.. they have others that are non navi units and have USB plug in's

Dave90T
04-18-2010, 01:30 PM
I've just spent the last 3 months of my life trying to get the 2010 Alpine unit into my xB with 100% compatibility, and I have finally succeeded. I don't know how much my research will help you as an xD owner, but it shouldn't be very different.

My entire post of how I got it all to work is being put together here (http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185337).

There is a Toyota harness available for $127 list, and there is an alternate harness that I've made available for around $75. They are made to order and do not include the extra audio ground pin that the Toyota harness appears to contain. I had to move the audio ground pin in my 2008 xB to the position that it is in the 2010 xB and it worked beautifully.

I have come to respect this 2010 Alpine unit a lot in my car. It has AM, FM, HD, CD, iPod, USB (flash or hard drive), AUX input, and Sirius Satellite. It also has support for a rear view camera/video input, and I believe it is compatible with the BLU Logic hands-free Bluetooth.

Don't give up on the Alpine unit. Nothing beats a quality product that retains all of the factory plugs, connectors, and conveniences.