PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Cowl is DONE! (PICS)

YELOSUB
05-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Ok as most of you know, Jim @ RogueSe7ens been working on a wiper cowl for the Scion xD for some time now...After several prototypes and many tweaks here and there later, the final piece is now done and should be ready for production...

Jim has been making parts for Mini's, Honda's, Bmw's and other makes of cars for quite some time now...I was asked to be a part of this journey and now he is going to be making these available for the xD...Jim makes some sick stuff and the quality is top notch...You can check out his website and see his work @ www.roguese7ens.com/photos

For full details on this wiper cowl, please go to scion life and click on the xD forums and it's in the AERO/EXTERIOR section...Any question, don't hesitate to PM me...Here are the finished pics:

-Driver's view shot while driving-

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0701.jpg

-Favorite shot-

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0733.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0732.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0729.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0730-1.jpg

x2cafn8dx
05-03-2010, 06:18 PM
interesting.. looks good, but not my style :)

newagestar
05-03-2010, 10:10 PM
how much to get one

YELOSUB
05-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Jason,

Im not sure...Jim told me that he would be logging onto SL sometime soon to iron out the details...

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Here is some of the old prototype one of what it looks like from a distance:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0304.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0306.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0307.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0308.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0305.jpg

JJGeneral1
05-04-2010, 07:40 AM
besides cosmetic, what does this actually do?

Cylon_xD
05-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Well, I was originally all gung-ho for this, but I thought this was dead project... not sure I'm even interested anymore... we'll have to see what the pricing will be, just had wanted one in regular black CF... Yelo, is one of those old black CF prototypes still available, the ones that had the small gap issues? I wouldn't mind purchasing one of those, I actually preferred that shape better than the final product, I think it got too bulbous or rounded-looking or something for my tastes...

CXTKRS1
05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
besides cosmetic, what does this actually do?

this

x2cafn8dx
05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
yea.. i was wondering what purpose was too.

TIKI
05-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Tim looks good on the ride.

Cylon_xD
05-04-2010, 05:42 PM
It vents into the engine compartment to cool the battery terminals... lol.

JJGeneral1
05-04-2010, 05:55 PM
this

this what? i re-iterate my case, what does it do?

i dunno, from the front, it doesn't look that great. maybe if you had a second matching one symmetrical to it on the passenger side as well....

Cylon_xD
05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Maybe it's one of those snorkels for driving through high water?? :)

JDMJim
05-04-2010, 09:05 PM
i would rather see that hood on the BBQ xD go into production.

newagestar
05-04-2010, 09:31 PM
i would rather see that hood on the BBQ xD go into production.

already tryed they wont produce any more of that kit it was a one time thing . i wanted that kit bad

CXTKRS1
05-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Maybe it's one of those snorkels for driving through high water?? :)

Hmm it is called the urban cruiser in Europe. :boxed:

YELOSUB
05-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Mods if you want to you can delete this thread...It seems this is turning into a typical SL thread where people hate...

Listen, it's just something else we mod our car with...Tell me, what do the eye lids do? What does the spoiler do? What do rims do? Alot of things we do to our cars are for cosmetics and because we want to change the look...This mod is actually somewhat functional as it does vent outside air into the engine compartment cooling down the engine compartment and those running a CAI or short ram may benefit...

For those needing more information on this piece, please click this link here: http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162994 and it will give you a round about price and talk more about it...I was just letting you you guys/gals know that there is now something else available for our xD...

I will be done with this thread...

CXTKRS1
05-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Mods if you want to you can delete this thread...It seems this is turning into a typical SL thread where people hate...

Listen, it's just something else we mod our car with...Tell me, what do the eye lids do? What does the spoiler do? What do rims do? Alot of things we do to our cars are for cosmetics and because we want to change the look...This mod is actually somewhat functional as it does vent outside air into the engine compartment cooling down the engine compartment and those running a CAI or short ram may benefit...

For those needing more information on this piece, please click this link here: http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162994 and it will give you a round about price and talk more about it...I was just letting you you guys/gals know that there is now something else available for our xD...

I will be done with this thread...

You are overly sensitive IMO this is a public forum not the feel good board. You have a mod here that is polarizing and either people are gonna like it or not. Some people have expressed their opinion but nobody has been overly rude about it.

YELOSUB
05-06-2010, 12:41 AM
this

What is this comment for...I assume you put the word "this" and then nothing afterwards as your little inside joke that it does nothing...Listen if you don't like it, great don't buy it...

But for those that want to know more about it, go get on scionlife and check it out...I don't make any money on it...Jim plans on making more items for the xD in the future...

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Tim looks good on the ride.

Thanks...

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Well, I was originally all gung-ho for this, but I thought this was dead project... not sure I'm even interested anymore... we'll have to see what the pricing will be, just had wanted one in regular black CF... Yelo, is one of those old black CF prototypes still available, the ones that had the small gap issues? I wouldn't mind purchasing one of those, I actually preferred that shape better than the final product, I think it got too bulbous or rounded-looking or something for my tastes...

I last heard under $100 but don't quote me...I know it took longer than expected and Jim apologized for that...I'm not sure if Jim would be to cool on me selling the prototype ones but I could ask...

JJGeneral1
05-06-2010, 08:07 AM
i was curious if it actually did anything. hence why i asked.

just looks a little weird off center, and not paired if not centered. i would've gotten a second one for the passenger side, made it symmetrical.

it's an interesting mod, but probably not up my alley.

x2cafn8dx
05-06-2010, 12:18 PM

just looks a little weird off center, and not paired if not centered. i would've gotten a second one for the passenger side, made it symmetrical.

^^^^ What he said

I'm not much for non functional cowls.. I was simply expressing my opinion. People will always voice their opinions on forums.. you can't get overly sensitive. It looks good on your car, but I wouldn't put it on mine.

CXTKRS1
05-06-2010, 01:58 PM
What is this comment for...I assume you put the word "this" and then nothing afterwards as your little inside joke that it does nothing...Listen if you don't like it, great don't buy it...

But for those that want to know more about it, go get on scionlife and check it out...I don't make any money on it...Jim plans on making more items for the xD in the future...

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Thanks...

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

I last heard under $100 but don't quote me...I know it took longer than expected and Jim apologized for that...I'm not sure if Jim would be to cool on me selling the prototype ones but I could ask...

Maybe you just don't bounce around the web as much as I do but on pretty much every board I visit "this" just basically means I'm quoting the other person and reinforcing whatever he/she said.

Cylon_xD
05-07-2010, 12:22 AM

It's in the position it is in because it replaces the removable piece in the xD's cowl that gives access to the brake fluid spout and battery removal. It is functional in the manner that it does vent air down inside the engine compartment while driving - so it is not a fake vent. But, as far as any advantage that comes from this venting, well... that would be subject to discussion...

My 1982 Renault LeCar (the xD predecessor?) had a similar vent into the engine compartment, but it vented directly through the hood, rather than through the cowling...

http://troyfrey.com/scion/lecar1.jpg

JDMJim
05-07-2010, 10:08 AM
the xD predecessor is the xA

Cylon_xD
05-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Um, yeah, well, the LeCar was MY xD predecessor, lol!

TheLittleDeviant
05-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Tim, I dont see a reason to delete the thread. We appreciate it that you are bringing new parts to light. There may be some who dont particularly like it, I for one dont like the forjworks eyelids, I stated my opinion in that thread, no worries. BTW, it looks awesome on your D. :)

As for everyone else, we all know that the SxDF are proud of the fact that we are not like Scion Life, where every numb nut thinks they can talk trash to each other, I am sure you guys keep coming back here because of that fact that we are all civil. I am not singling out anyone, just typing out loud here.

YELOSUB
05-07-2010, 02:15 PM
That's cool Ted...I just get tired of the same ole' bullsh^t and to be honest it pissed me off...So yea, I may of got a little "sensitive" and the posts began to strike a nerve so i'm sorry if I came across abruptly...Jim worked hard on bringing this part to us and has plans to bring more stuff...I'm just curious of the people who posted, who actually took the time to look at the some of Jim's "other" work with the link I provided AND who bothered checking the thread on SL? The reason I ask is because alot of the questions I got asked here were answered in that thread...

On to answer the question as to only why only one cowl, there is only one cut out on the wiper cowl itself which is common...

Cylon_xD
05-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Hey Tim, just wanted to clarify, anything I posted up here was only meant to be taken humorously and not as a slam of the product, or your efforts to post it up here...

YELOSUB
05-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Troy,

No problem at all...I understand your frustration on the waiting time and for everyone else that waited for the part to develope...Jim works out of his house, not some fancy business and is a busy man so I had to keep on him to get this done...Trust me, when people see the actual product in person, they will understand it more...It does actually take the outside air and funnel it into the engine bay...I run a short ram and any additional air I can feed into the hot engine compartment, especially here in AZ is welcomed air...:) This also kind of looks cool with the blue LED's I have lite up in my engine compartment:

Taken with old prototype model:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0021.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0090-2.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/yelosub/IMG_0091.jpg

x2cafn8dx
05-07-2010, 04:40 PM
the light is kinda nifty.. would be cool to see it at night

JJGeneral1
05-07-2010, 06:25 PM
that just raises one more concern on my end. we have BAD winters here in western PA. how would that handle with salt and rain going into the engine bay?

YELOSUB
05-07-2010, 07:11 PM
That's a good question and I'm not sure what the answer is...I would assume that you would normally get rain and salt up under the engine bay with normal every day driving in inclimate weather...I know when it rains in AZ and BEFORE I had the cowl on, water always found a way to dirty up my engine bay...So not sure if it is gonna make that big of difference...

JJGeneral1
05-07-2010, 07:50 PM
true, but rain really shouldn't the way our cars our designed. all those splash guards have to protect something, right?

JDMJim
05-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Um, yeah, well, the LeCar was MY xD predecessor, lol!

i forgot about that.....:emotions36:

Cylon_xD
05-08-2010, 09:59 PM
that just raises one more concern on my end. we have BAD winters here in western PA. how would that handle with salt and rain going into the engine bay?

It just pops out, so pop the original cowl piece back in for winter weather if you want... :rolleyes:

xDevint
05-12-2010, 06:01 PM
It does look cool with the light and useing the vent with a cold air intake would be a great idea.

x2cafn8dx
05-12-2010, 07:41 PM
It does look cool with the light and useing the vent with a cold air intake would be a great idea.

^^^^
somebody start designing :P

newagestar
05-12-2010, 09:22 PM
true, but rain really shouldn't the way our cars our designed. all those splash guards have to protect something, right?

not any diffrent then pressure washing your engine bay

JJGeneral1
05-12-2010, 10:17 PM
not any diffrent then pressure washing your engine bay

probably not the best idea....

YELOSUB
05-12-2010, 10:33 PM
^^^^
somebody start designing :P

What do you mean? I have got the lighting and the intake...That's what I have been saying all along...:)

x2cafn8dx
05-13-2010, 09:10 AM
lol connect the cowl and the intake.. like the old RAM Air Cowls

and pressure washing your engine bay? soooo not a good idea.

CXTKRS1
05-13-2010, 01:13 PM
probably not the best idea....

I agree, pressure washing an engine bay seems like a lazy way of doing things since the same can be accomplished with a damp rag and some cleaning solution.

JJGeneral1
05-13-2010, 03:01 PM
well, yes, but i mean the possible damage that could be done of the pressure washer. popping hoses off, weathering belts/screws, rust. a few things come to mind...

not to mention the fact that some parts are not to be touched by water. hence the "gutters" around the engine, and splash guards around the wheel wells.

CXTKRS1
05-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Well that much is obvious lol, water never mixes good with bare metal and/or electricity.

newagestar
05-13-2010, 10:05 PM
lol connect the cowl and the intake.. like the old RAM Air Cowls

and pressure washing your engine bay? soooo not a good idea.

i do it once a month never had a problem

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

well, yes, but i mean the possible damage that could be done of the pressure washer. popping hoses off, weathering belts/screws, rust. a few things come to mind...

not to mention the fact that some parts are not to be touched by water. hence the "gutters" around the engine, and splash guards around the wheel wells.

the gutters on the xd dont stop crap anyway u still get water inside the engine bay. thos who say its not a good idea dont have an idea what their talking about its actualy good for one point you can see any leaks or worn out hoses or belts cuz its not caked with dirt and grime

JJGeneral1
05-14-2010, 07:17 AM
well, you go ahead and keep doing that, and let me know how your engine looks at 75,000 miles.

x2cafn8dx
05-14-2010, 07:09 PM
i've seen electrical components get decimated by power washing. i don't even power wash my car lol

JJGeneral1
05-15-2010, 10:17 AM
see my thread in interior electronics...

Cylon_xD
05-17-2010, 03:23 PM
What, you power wash your interior, Joe???! :D

JJGeneral1
05-17-2010, 06:02 PM
What, you power wash your interior, Joe???! :D

you bitch!!!

TheLittleDeviant
05-18-2010, 08:13 AM
^^^ hahahaha, now thats taking cleaning to a whole new level!!