PDA

View Full Version : How Often Does Your Cooling Fan Come On?

aeugene
05-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I had my radiator replaced a few months ago after an accident. Since then it seems like the engine/cooling fan comes on often. I can drive five miles (manual drive) on a cool or cold day in Cleveland (go cavs) ... and it will come on 1-2 times. Often it comes on when I come to a stop. Is this common? Thanks!

JJGeneral1
05-03-2010, 09:17 PM
when i'm idling, it comes on frequently. when i'm cruising the interstate, i can't tell, but i'm sure it comes on sometimes.

CXTKRS1
05-04-2010, 01:38 PM
This is normal.

mcbrew
05-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Anybody know at what temp the cooling fan comes on? If not, I'll figure it out tomorrow and post it here if anyone is interested.

Cylon_xD
05-25-2010, 08:39 PM
the fan on the xD is a little irritating in summer, when stopped at a light idling, it will turn on and run for short time, turn off, turn back on, off, on... way too much cycling... Id rather just have it run continuously for an extended time, the thermostat end points are set too close, I guess...

TheLittleDeviant
05-26-2010, 12:16 PM
to the OP, yes, it is normal. I completely agree with you Troy, maybe a bypass switch is in order...

CXTKRS1
05-27-2010, 01:00 PM
With my Z28 I installed a 160 T-Stat and turned the fan activation points down...shame we cannot do that with most Asian imports cause it made a huge difference in my operating temps. :)

mcbrew
05-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Yeah, but remember that engines are generally more efficient at higher temps. As long as it isn't hot enough to cause damage.

I keep forgetting... I'll get the scangauge hooked up tomorrow if I can remember.

CXTKRS1
05-28-2010, 02:29 AM
Yeah, but remember that engines are generally more efficient at higher temps. As long as it isn't hot enough to cause damage.

I keep forgetting... I'll get the scangauge hooked up tomorrow if I can remember.

I have to disagree to an extent. Once an engine warms up beyond a closed loop status then it is good to go. The high temperature T-Stats help cars meet emission standards and is pretty much the reason why they are standard on all cars regardless of make and model. I prefer a colder thermostat which lowers under hood temperatures, allows for an increase timing, reduces fluid stress, and of course colder air. :)

mcbrew
06-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I have to disagree to an extent. Once an engine warms up beyond a closed loop status then it is good to go. The high temperature T-Stats help cars meet emission standards and is pretty much the reason why they are standard on all cars regardless of make and model. I prefer a colder thermostat which lowers under hood temperatures, allows for an increase timing, reduces fluid stress, and of course colder air. :)

If you want your engine to run cooler, that's fine... but it's hard to disagree with the statement I made. A hotter engine is generally more efficient. The cylinder walls will not rob the combustion chamber of as much heat. So, more of the energy from combustion is turned into mechanical power.

By the way, I checked it out, and it seems like the fan comes on at 205F. It was only 75F out when I tested it, and the fan never came on during my 30 mile commute. When I parked at work, I let it idle with the AC on at it finally got hot enough to start the fan. During my commute, the temp stayed in the 198-202F range. I'll go out on a limb and say that it has a 200F thermostat in there.