PDA

View Full Version : If you would educate me on entry level DSLR cameras.

CXTKRS1
05-06-2010, 03:44 PM
I have been saving up on my entertainment budget and I have decided instead of mods for the car it is time to enter the DSLR world. I'm not really partial to any brand but I have had great experience with Canon and I have never used a Nikon camera before of any kind. I have been doing some reading on the Rebel T1i and I was wondering does any own this camera and if so what are your opinions of it? I'm pretty good with electronics but I do not need a top end professional camera so I'm not sure if I should go for the T1i or downgrade to the XS or maybe a Nikon model?

x2cafn8dx
05-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I have heard Nikons are good. I LOVE me some Canons though. I had an S2 IS a few years ago.. great camera.. 5 megapixel 12x optical zoom. I bought it about 5 years ago.

There are two Canon Cameras I am interested in now. Both of which are Powershots and do not require lenses.

This is the first:
PowerShot SX1 IS - $599.99 Suggested Retail
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=18301#ModelDetailAct

FEATURES:

Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels at 30 fps) movie mode plus HDMI output for easy playback of video and photos on your HDTV.

The first PowerShot camera to feature a 10.0 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor for superb image quality.

28mm wide-angle 20x Optical Zoom lens with Optical Image Stabilizer.

Large 2.8-inch Vari-angle LCD widescreen for flexible viewing at nearly every angle, plus a viewfinder for more shooting options.

Full range of shooting and recording modes including RAW + JPEG for the ultimate creative control.

DIGIC 4 Image Processor has evolved Face Detection Technology that tracks the faces of moving subjects and lets the shooter enter the frame seamlessly with the Face Detection Self-timer.

With 25 Shooting Modes including 12 Special Scene Modes, you're ready for whatever shot comes your way.

Print/Share Button for easy direct printing and downloading, plus ID Photo Print and Movie Print with select PIXMA Inkjet Photo Printers and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers.

View Sample Images

And this one:
PowerShot SX20 IS - $399.99 Suggested Retail
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=19208#ModelDetailAct

FEATURES:

This high-powered 20x Wide-angle Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer reduces camera shake so you achieve magnificent images whether you are up close or far away.

Provides flexibility to use the optical zoom while shooting superb 720p HD movies with stereo sound so you can fully capture those fun, memorable moments, with an HDMI output connector for easy playback on your HDTV.

Improved Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings for the camera based on 22 predefined shooting situations.

This classically styled DIGIC 4 Image Processor, 12.1 Megapixel camera is a perfect device for any shooter!

Large 2.5-inch Vari-angle LCD enables easy viewing.

This AA battery powered camera enables you to easily power up.

View Sample Images

From what I can see.. it's 10 megapixel vs 12.1, but the first camera has way better HD video capabilities. The second one is cheaper and if you just want it for pictures.. I would go toward that one

sorry for the long post. I say research. This is the type of digital camera I prefer. I don't like messing with lenses or carting around alot of equipment. figured I would share

MoFaux
05-07-2010, 10:11 AM
My wife has a powershot (few years old now) and she has been nothing but happy with it. I have a Sony and it has performed really well for me. In the end you really have to find the unit with the functions your really interested in and go for it.

One thing I would bring up, which I sorta wish I had thought of is.... When you spec out a camera, be sure you are really buying what you will use. My Sony has a ton of functions that sounded great when I bought it, but in the end, I leave the thing on the automatic mode and just take a ton of pictures. I don't mess with the exposure rate, the sports mode the night mode, etc. So ask yourself if you really need all that other stuff before you buy.

$0.02

Formulanone
06-30-2010, 11:11 PM
I've been a Canon junkie since I inherited an the AE-1 back in 1990. Moved up to an EOS Rebel, where I bought a few telephoto lenses. The EOS lenses are interchangeable with the Canon DSLRs, so you're really buying into the lenses, since the technology in the actual camera bodies are ever-changing with new updates every six months or so.

Still, my 300D is going strong for years without a hitch, as long as you take basic care of them (no drops, no hits, always hold on tightly and/or carefully), clean out the sensor every so often. The DSLR Nikons use the same principle as the Canon; the lenses can be 20+ years old, and they still work with most of the latest equipment. Of course, the newest lenses always have a few more tricks like image stabilization and the like.

Basically, once you go DSLR, you find it hard to go back to point-and-shoot, although when you have a kid or two, it's nice to have a tiny camera ready on the fly instead of a bulky DSLR, when you have tons of other stuff to carry as a parent.

Also, don't run out and buy one of these cameras the day before a big event; they can take a few weeks to really sort out the finer points and neat little gadgets each beholds to do things right. Get a good illustrated book or two on how to use the camera (there's still things I discover how to perfect many years after initial ownership), and one on tips and tricks for composition, ideas, concepts, the "nuts and bolts" of a camera, and science of light and color. You'll also want photo-editing software and a good image browser that doesn't suck (like the ones that come with your operating system). And a spare battery!

It all sounds mind-boggling, but the important part is that you have fun with it, and not expect every shot to look perfect each time. You learn and learn and learn some more with each shot. Take notes, find others that are interested, and share ideas. Heck, some of my best and most interesting (in my opinion) shots were total experiments without regard to the suggestions the little microchip the camera suggests for settings...that's how you really move forward with it as a hobby.

wooly willy
08-15-2010, 02:13 AM
Play around with both and see how you feel about the user interfaces of each.

I'm not certain about specific features and recent advances, but I am under the understanding that the difference is similar to the Coke vs. Pepsi hype: it boils down to preference.

That said, I am quite pleased with my Nikon D40, with the exception of it not having the a manual focusing grain/ring in the viewfinder. I'm not certain that even exists in the modern camera market.

Also: look into the Sony DSLRs, I can't tell you much about them except that a couple of my friends swear by them.