PDA

View Full Version : Rear Alignment - total toe out of spec

ramrat1
07-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I completed the install with the helpful instructions provided. Its interesting how 1.5 inch drop can make the car from feeling high to feeling much lower to the ground.

I let the car sit for a few days and drove it roughly 20 miles. I then took it in for an alignment.

I can't believe just the springs would do this. What should be done (if anything). Do I need to bring it into the dealer to have shims installed. Would it be covered under guarantee as I can't see just installing trd springs would bring it out of spec (it must have been out of spec before with stock springs). Car has under 5k miles.

fronts were in spec - no change done.

rears all were in spec except the toe

rear left
actual .34
specified range .02 to .25

rear right
actual .27
specified range .02 to .25

total toe
specified rante .03 to .50

CXTKRS1
07-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Springs a lot of times even with a minor drop will throw an alignment off beyond spec. Its out but nothing to extreme but yes you will need to have shims installed. The dealer may or not cover this since you not the dealer installed the springs.

Resolve
07-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Just putting the springs on should not have affected the toe alignment on the back. It is a solid rear axle. So it must have been out from factory.

ramrat1
07-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I did a search again and apparently trd instructions has new alignment specs for the spring

actual left Actual Right trd specs
front total toe .06 .08 1.4 +/- 2.0mm (.06 +/- .08in)
rack end lengths difference did not have specs 1.5mm (.059 in) or less
camber -.7 -.9 -0.18 +/- .75
caster 5.1 4.2 4.85 +/- .75

rear toe in .34 .27 3.4 +/- 3.0mm (.13 +/- .11in)
camber -1.1 -.9 -.95 +/- .5

It looks like i am in specs with the new TRD specs vs the specs from factory with stock springs.

I though it was odd as well that the rear springs would have caused changes to the rear toe but the stock spring specs is different than trd spring specs for alignment.

TexXBox
07-01-2010, 11:03 PM
The geometry of the suspension is simple, but the explanation isn't. The rear toe does change due to ride height. It is a PIA to install rear camber/toe alignment shims and the slight variation due to the change in ride height has a negligible (if any overall) effect on tire wear. Your rear wheels move up and down when you hit bumps after all and it doesn't kill the tires. I suspect Toyota just changed the specs to match where the alignment ended up geometrically after the drop and called it a day. Easier on the techs in the shop and less labor pay out.

ramrat1
07-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Has anyone installed these shims? If so which ones did you go with? I did search on the web and found realcamber.com from this thread http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679&page=3
but not sure exactly what i need

Resolve
07-02-2010, 08:20 AM
The shims you posted is to add negative camber not to correct toe or camber