PDA

View Full Version : trd rear spring tapping noises

ramrat1
07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
I think it may be normal but I wanted to check with everyone who has installed lowering springs.

I hear a tap tap in the rear of the xd when going over rough roads.

I see that some spring manufactures provide a sort of spring wrap for the rear springs. I assume this is to maybe help the noise.

Has anyone else with trd springs heard a tapping noise and have they done anything to eliminate it?

Resolve
07-07-2010, 11:53 AM
If the spring is not wrapped it may be the spring. the portion of the spring where the springs are wound closer together are most likely hitting each other on big bumps.

You can get the wrap for them or if you want cheap fix wrap with electrical tap around those few coils. It will create a buffer so it will not be the metal coils hitting each other. this should reduce/eliminate the sound. it is cheap and quick fix but most likely not long term.

ramrat1
07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
exactly what i was thinking thanks resolve!

bobolinko
07-14-2010, 11:00 AM
if you want cheap fix wrap with electrical tap around those few coils. It will create a buffer so it will not be the metal coils hitting each other. this should reduce/eliminate the sound. it is cheap and quick fix but most likely not long term.

Home Depot or Lowes sell a rubber tape that has no "sticky" back, but you can wrap that spring, and the end area of the tape can be finished off using the regular electrical tape. It would, for sure, last a good while, as the rubber is good quality and a lot more durable than the 2mil tape. I did, at one time find the self-vulcanizing rubber tape at HomeDepot, but lately, have not been able to find it. That one would stick to itself, with no adhesive, and was a perfect fix, but too bad, I don't know where it can be purchased right now.

ramrat1
07-14-2010, 10:29 PM
thanks for the tip. I actually found whiteline coil silencers but paid an arm and a leg for shipping (should have read the shipping details more closely). So far it cured the problem. Nice and quiet.