PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for TRD springs?

asurjc
09-13-2010, 05:50 PM
NOTE: I also posted this on SL. Sorry if you're reading this twice.

I installed my trd lowering springs about 2 months ago. I recently noticed that there's a gap between the strut mount (I believe that's what the part is called) and the strut tower. (see pic)

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv114/asurjc/miscellaneous%20pics/strutmountgap.jpg

This gap measures about 1/4 inch. I'm currently still using the OE struts and I cannot remember if this gap was here before or not. When I put the car up on jacks with the wheels hanging, this gap is gone and the strut mount is flush. I have taken the whole assemblies apart twice now to see if the gap will go away but it persists. There isn't any clunking or creaking that I've noticed, and all hardware is completely tight and secure. What I want to know is: Is this normal? For those of you who also have the trd springs do you have this gap? Will my front suspension parts wear faster this way? Thanks in advance for any and all advice. This is really starting to bother me.

Resolve
09-14-2010, 08:20 AM
When I let the fronts down on my airbags it does the same thing.

YELOSUB
09-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Yes it is normal...Freaked me out too but it is completely normal...

ramrat1
09-14-2010, 03:04 PM
i have the same gap with trd struts and springs. I had though the shorter struts may eliminate the gap but I just checked and same gap.

TexXBox
09-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Gaps like that are normal on strut suspended cars. When there is no load at all on the suspension the bushings on the top and bottom of the mounting area in the wheel well usually just touch the sheet metal. With the weight of the car on the strut the bottom bushing compresses slightly and the top one is pushed slightly upward, hence the gap. When you jack the car up and the weight of the suspension is hanging from the mount there is no gap on the top and a slightly smaller gap on the bottom for the same reason. You just never see it because you don't normally put your head between the wheel and fender and look around. I have seen gaps approaching 1/2 inch on some cars and it is completely normal.