PDA

View Full Version : tire size question / help

derekls
12-12-2010, 12:04 PM
will 215/60/16 tires fit on a stock xd with no issues?

xd_kidd
12-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Ii got 215 50 16 .. a lot better frm stock

derekls
12-13-2010, 01:36 AM
cool, ya the stock tires suck....lol

the tire that ive got my eye one, that i really want is 215/60/16, i guess ill have to get it measured at a local shop to see if that size would fit

seems like it would

xd_kidd
12-13-2010, 08:39 AM
cool, ya the stock tires suck....lol

the tire that ive got my eye one, that i really want is 215/60/16, i guess ill have to get it measured at a local shop to see if that size would fit

seems like it would

it would fit with out a problem

derekls
12-13-2010, 02:05 PM
I will prob try to order a set of 4 this week and get them installed

xDTool
12-15-2010, 10:45 AM
215/60 will fit on a stock height xd without problem, but it does exceed the 3% rule, speedo will be about 4% low, and you'll look even more like a rav4 than you already do, 215/50-55 is what id recommend at the biggest.

derekls
12-15-2010, 07:25 PM
its to bad they dont make any tires i like in the size 215/50-55 then.

As far as the look, im not into lowering / tucking the tires , etc.... im not trying to look like a Rav 4, but I guess it could be worse lol.

the speedo issue doesnt worry me much, i plan on keeping the car until it dies

xDTool
12-16-2010, 12:01 PM
well the 3% rule is more about ABS and Stab control computer functions than your speedo, and while i dont think you'll have much of an issue as long as you dont go any bigger, its something to throw around. If you're not into lowering you'll be fine as far as fitment goes. even with coilovers dumped i fit 205/55/16s on my last setup.

CXTKRS1
12-16-2010, 12:34 PM
If you ever go with after market rims I would look into some 235/50/16.

derekls
12-16-2010, 10:47 PM
well the 3% rule is more about ABS and Stab control computer functions than your speedo, and while i dont think you'll have much of an issue as long as you dont go any bigger, its something to throw around. If you're not into lowering you'll be fine as far as fitment goes. even with coilovers dumped i fit 205/55/16s on my last setup.

hm... guess i never thought about safety concerns with stab control, etc, thats a really valid point though.

I shall ponder if , may ask a toyota tech next time i get my oil changed or something., ive still go about 10k miles left in my stock tires(give or take a few), so a few months to decide if i need to

CXTKRS1
12-17-2010, 02:12 AM
hm... guess i never thought about safety concerns with stab control, etc, thats a really valid point though.

I shall ponder if , may ask a toyota tech next time i get my oil changed or something., ive still go about 10k miles left in my stock tires(give or take a few), so a few months to decide if i need to

Not sure about the price but the tech should be able to reprogram your speedo/odo.

TexXBox
12-18-2010, 12:35 AM

I am not intimate with the exact system Toyota uses on the xD, but I would think that the VSC etc. would use the wheel speed sensor input in comparison from wheel to wheel and adjust things based on wheel speed differential and data from the yaw sensors, not on outright speed. Therefore, I don't think speedo calibration/tire size would effect its ability to function correctly.

I would also state that the liability of having the system be tire size dependent considering the ability for just about anyone to bolt just about anything on the car and demand that it still save their bacon for every stupid stunt they pulled, would be to great to risk and have been factored out of the equation by Toyota.

derekls
12-18-2010, 05:57 PM
that was very deep lol
makes sense though - if it fits, it fits

derekls
12-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Think that if going with 215/60/16 tires would it hurt anything other the obvious dink in mpg(which im not to concerned with) -

such as Trans or Motor .....

I wouldnt imagine it would, but opinions would be awesome.

CXTKRS1
12-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Think that if going with 215/60/16 tires would it hurt anything other the obvious dink in mpg(which im not to concerned with) -

such as Trans or Motor .....

I wouldnt imagine it would, but opinions would be awesome.

The engine and trans will have to work harder to get the xD moving...that is about it.

xd_kidd
12-20-2010, 09:49 PM
The engine and trans will have to work harder to get the xD moving...that is about it.

hardly

CXTKRS1
12-21-2010, 02:41 AM
hardly

That much should be obvious, but it will put a little more strain on the engine.

derekls
12-21-2010, 11:03 AM
I guess since it would be like having roughly a 32 pd person or bricks in the car all the time since thats the total weight difference in the 4 stock stock tires vs the 4 215/60/16

It would also probably present more resistance by sticking to the road better, etc not sure if that causes wear on the engine though, maybe lol

CXTKRS1
12-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I guess since it would be like having roughly a 32 pd person or bricks in the car all the time since thats the total weight difference in the 4 stock stock tires vs the 4 215/60/16

It would also probably present more resistance by sticking to the road better, etc not sure if that causes wear on the engine though, maybe lol

The greater the rotational mass the harder the engine will work, the change however will probably mean a very small reduction fuel economy and zero effect on engine/transmission life. One thing you might want to look into is some Good Year Assurance FuelMax tires. I think they are made in that size and they are low roll resistance tires which mean they will give a slight bump to your fuel economy.

Pittshark
01-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Hey guys...first time poster here, so hello to everyone.

I have a question about wheel/tire compatibility. I got an amazing deal on set of Motegi MR4 wheels w/ tires. The wheels are 17" and the tire size is 215/50/17. I plugged the numbers into a tire height calculator and compared them against the stock tires and here is the results:

Overall diameter: stock - 25.21" new - 25.46"
Diameter difference: 0.99%
Speedo difference: 0.991% slow

I'm under the impression that these numbers indicate that this size will be fine, but I'm not overally experienced in this department so I'd like to get someone's opinion.

I have an 08 xD thats basically stock.

Thanks

xDTool
01-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey guys...first time poster here, so hello to everyone.

I have a question about wheel/tire compatibility. I got an amazing deal on set of Motegi MR4 wheels w/ tires. The wheels are 17" and the tire size is 215/50/17. I plugged the numbers into a tire height calculator and compared them against the stock tires and here is the results:

Overall diameter: stock - 25.21" new - 25.46"
Diameter difference: 0.99%
Speedo difference: 0.991% slow

I'm under the impression that these numbers indicate that this size will be fine, but I'm not overally experienced in this department so I'd like to get someone's opinion.

I have an 08 xD thats basically stock.

Thanks

that'll be perfectly fine, i run 215/45/17 slammed on coilovers with few problems, and i'm sure with motegis you wont face the same offset and fender issues that i run into.

Do you know the full specs on the rims? 17x7 i'm guessing, +35-45 offset?

as long as you arent pushing offsets into the 50s you wont have any problems, even if you move to a moderate drop

Pittshark
01-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Yeah, you were pretty much dead on guessing the specs. They are 17x7 and the offset is 40.

Thanks for the response