Scion XD Forum

Scion XD Forum (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engine/Performance (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Performance HO Alternators? (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1300)

simmons0613 07-17-2011 09:09 AM

Performance HO Alternators?

I woke up this morning and my alternator is making a screeching/grinding noise. So I'm guessing that it's about to kick the bucket. I figure I might as well upgrade to an HO Alternator. Do you guys recommend any brand/model? And if you can provide links that would be awesome! I never had to replace an alternator before so I don't know what to look out for when shopping for them.

TexXBox 07-17-2011 10:59 AM

Steve Meade http://stevemeadedesigns.com/home/ a SERIOUS car audio enthusiast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1B-mQlQGFk recommends these guys http://mechman.com/.

Spend some time on his site if you have a few. He is NUTS and has some bad#$%) stuff. Check out his Civic rebuild.

And when you do go to replace it, the FIRST thing you should do is disconnect the negative terminal of your battery and safely tuck it away. Accidental arc welding while working on your electrical system is highly dis-advantageous.

Remember there is a link on here for the factory manual. It will tell you all you need.

simmons0613 07-17-2011 11:46 AM

sweet thanks. But I have a friend who is saying he doesn't think its my alternator. So he's going to look at it later.

Resolve 07-18-2011 12:16 PM

Wow someone else who follows Meade. lol.

I haven't been on his site in a while. Work computer doesn't get me in and Hardly ever get online at home.

I knew someone using

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/20toco1hiou1.html

Not saying it's not worth it but are you going to be running major electricals?

I am personally thinking about talking to the Excessive Amperage guys and seeing what they can do.

www.excessiveamperage.com

simmons0613 07-18-2011 12:28 PM

well I just looking at my alternator and it looks just fine, the only time it make the noise is when the engine is cold (not ran) but ones everything warms up its all good. Now I'm not sure if its the alternator. Its coming from the side with all the pullies and belts but it sound like it coming from the alternator. I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON! There are no warning lights, everything is running fine, its just that noise that you can hear from outside.

Resolve 07-18-2011 02:56 PM

On your hood when you open it does it look like something was sprayed on it from the belt area. like maybe a liquid was dropped on the belt while it was spinning?

I know that I had a nosie coming from that area and I thought it was my alternator for the longest time until I found out my water pump was going out and it finally did while driving. Once it was towed to Toyota and they fixed the water pump never had the sound again.

Say check water pump and a/c compressor

simmons0613 07-18-2011 04:10 PM

ok, will do when I get off work. Thanks for the help. I will let you know what I see

XDevolution 07-18-2011 05:38 PM

my water pump blew it made the worst sound on start up and while driving, it sounded like a dying cat screamin for help lol. as for the alternator. i went to a shop by my house they did a custom build HO alternator with a lightweight overdrive pulley. (about 2 lbs lighter) my car runs great. liquids that arnt a belt dressing will make the belt screech. the alternator has a warning light when its gonna die so dont change unless thats on. but keep us updated im curious to know what the problem is.

simmons0613 07-18-2011 08:35 PM

ok so I just tore apart that side of the car. I have red crust all over the main pully I believe. The part number on that pull is PA66-GF30, its the one that right above where you would install a NST Pully. And I have red fluid on some of the engine walling. Any ideas as to what it is?

TexXBox 07-19-2011 12:42 AM

Might well be a water pump. Toyota uses a red/dark pink tinted long life coolant that would probably leave a reddish residue behind after it evaporated. Have you checked your coolant level lately? If the water pump is leaking it could douse the drive belt in coolant which would cause it to slip, hence the noise. Also the seal on the water pump itself might be making the noise because it is failing and letting coolant leak into the bearings.
I highly recommend you get it checked out soon.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resolve (Post 11347)
Wow someone else who follows Meade. lol.

I haven't been on his site in a while. Work computer doesn't get me in and Hardly ever get online at home.[/url]

I don't spend much time there any more either, but his stuff is hard to forget. :)

If only.......

Resolve 07-19-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simmons0613 (Post 11358)
ok so I just tore apart that side of the car. I have red crust all over the main pully I believe. The part number on that pull is PA66-GF30, its the one that right above where you would install a NST Pully. And I have red fluid on some of the engine walling. Any ideas as to what it is?

Water pump. I have the red splash well pinkish lol. on my hood and an other things and never knew what it was until the water pump went out.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexXBox (Post 11362)
I don't spend much time there any more either, but his stuff is hard to forget. :)

If only.......

I wish I had the time and money/contacts he did. The fct that he runs that much power and hits that solid with everything tucked nicely behing the rear seats of a Tahoe is amazing. I like watching his videos.

simmons0613 07-19-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resolve (Post 11364)
Water pump. I have the red splash well pinkish lol. on my hood and an other things and never knew what it was until the water pump went out.[COLOR="Silver"]

Me and my dad just went out and trouble shot it. Thats exactly what went out. Where do you recommend getting a new one? I can order one from www.partstrain.com for around $70.

TexXBox 07-19-2011 11:07 PM

I followed your link and I came up with a new, not rebuilt, Beck-Arnley pump. I have used Beck-Arnley product before and been very satisfied with it. I also personally much prefer new over rebuilt when available. If your research shows that is a good price, I say go for it.

Oh, and replace the belts too, they don't last long after being coated in coolant, even if they look good now. The extra parts cost now, while you're already doing the labor, is much easier to swallow then having to take half of it back apart to do belts later. At least that's my opinion.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resolve (Post 11364)
wish I had the time and money/contacts he did. The fct that he runs that much power and hits that solid with everything tucked nicely behing the rear seats of a Tahoe is amazing. I like watching his videos.

Yup, something to strive for. If I ever do a system half that good I'd be happy.

simmons0613 07-20-2011 10:16 AM

Oh ya, I would never use rebuilt parts on my car. I only buy brand new. I ordered a new belt as well through autozone. I figured if I'm going to take it off the old one might as well put a new one back on.

Resolve 07-21-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simmons0613 (Post 11375)
Oh ya, I would never use rebuilt parts on my car. I only buy brand new. I ordered a new belt as well through autozone. I figured if I'm going to take it off the old one might as well put a new one back on.

Have fun I am going to be getting a new belt probably this weekend also. I will be getting new tires, changing brakes, and belt. Sucks though. I wanted the wheels and tires from Bob but I need tires badly and wife wants new tires over new wheels and tires. :(