Scion XD Forum

Scion XD Forum (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engine/Performance (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Underdrive Pulleys & Torque Dampeners (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37)

SciFion 06-03-2009 04:06 PM

Underdrive Pulleys & Torque Dampeners

I know that not many people are doing serious engine mods to their cars yet. But was wondering if anyone has installed an underdrive pulley on an xD. If so , did you feel a signifigant power increase? Were you required to change the belt?

Not sure if torque dampers are offered for the xD yet, but again if so, and someone installed one on their car, did you feel any difference? These are two engine mods I am considering, as they basically help free up wasted power the engine makes. Just curious if they are worth doing.

Shaggy 06-04-2009 08:39 AM

Whats the cost of doing them?

SciFion 06-05-2009 08:15 PM

I dont think you need to pay for labor as these two mods are doable at home with hand tools. I have seen somewhere that the pulley has already been made. And I know you can get a torque dampner for the xBs from Weapon R, just waiting to see if they have made one for the xD yet. No reference on them at their site or any other yet that I can find.

rhino74s 06-06-2009 05:31 AM

There's lot of talk about the underdrive pulley on SL. Seems like everyone that's done it has liked it and noticed small gains.
You just have to remember not to expect alot from a small mod like this. It will free up a couple hp from the engine but prolly not anything you will feel.
From what I've read, people say:
it gave them maybe 2-3mpg better per tank
slight increase in low end torque
no one has said they noticed any difference in their air conditioning performance or other accessories, since that's how it gets the extra power.

SciFion 06-06-2009 03:51 PM

It's nice to know that the A/C doesn't suffer with the pulley installed. Anyone know if you have to go to a smaller belt, or only adjust out the slack?

rhino74s 06-06-2009 07:18 PM

they all say you use the stock belt and the xD has a manual belt tensioner, i believe.

rhino74s 06-07-2009 04:42 AM

this is a pretty good DIY for the underdrive pulley posted by NST, the company that makes them.

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=253521

SciFion 06-08-2009 07:33 PM

Excellent work on the DIY link, seems like no problem if you have an impact gun. Might as well free up some of the power thats already there..

chirco 08-03-2009 03:11 PM

underdrive pulley

I believe that non stop tuning has made one.

misformartin 08-03-2009 04:51 PM

yah nst makes them

mcbrew 08-06-2009 01:31 PM

I'm so on the fence when it comes to the underdrive pulley. I'm not necessarily looking for more power (never hurts, though!)... but more for fuel economy. The problem is that people toss out numbers like, "I only get 2-3 more MPG", when 2-3 MPG is an awesome improvement in my opinion. However, people toss those numbers around and I get the feeling that most of those folks aren't really keeping track of their fuel economy.

As with most people, I imagine, I am concerned about the drawbacks (if any). On my previous car, the water pump was driven off the timing belt... but the xD's water pump is driven off the accessory belt, right? I'm sure it would be fine under normal driving conditions... but I regularly tow small trailers. As we all know, the xD doesn't have a temperature gauge, so I'd only know it was overheating when the idiot light comes on. I have a feeling the xD could handle it without overheating... but I can't be sure.

Anybody have any feelings on the subject?

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

To add to my previous post... are there any long term concerns when running an underdrive pulley? I plan on having this car for 150,000+ miles... probably 200,000+ miles.

misformartin 08-06-2009 02:35 PM

i dont know about underdrive.. i would prefer just lightened that way keeps all the other components that rely on the belt the same... i have had my lightweight on my xb for 100k miles with no problem

bobolinko 08-24-2009 07:42 PM

http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130

that should answer any question on torque dampeners...
It DIDN'T Cost $150.00 either !!!

bobolinko 09-21-2009 02:41 PM

I did my replacement on Saturday. Took the plastic cover way down and did not need to remove it to complete the task. I got the Pulley Bolt off using an electric impact tool. Was a breeze. The pulley removal from the shaft required a damper pulley puller ($18 from Napa) to remove it but that, too was easy. The clearance in the fenderwell was JUST ENOUGH to use the puller to remove the pulley. The engine had to be turned to allow the puller to clear. It was EASILY turned by hand to set the shaft angle to facilitate the removal. All the rest was just plain simple.

I gained 3MPG using the cheapest gas anyone can find. I truly have the CHEAPEST gas anywhere. I can't explain, so just take my word. You should have better results.

simmons0613 02-02-2011 03:38 PM

I know this an old post, but has anyone been able to find a torque damper for the xD yet? I can't seem to find one anywhere. All I find are ones for the tc, xb, and xa.

xd_kidd 02-02-2011 05:31 PM

One person bought a universal one on ebay. Tweaked it abit nd turned out good

XDevolution 02-06-2011 12:58 AM

i know that we can interchange parts with the yaris, maybe there torque damper will fit