Scion XD Forum

Scion XD Forum (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engine/Performance (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spark Plug replacement guide (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1312)

Sciontologist Tom 08-04-2011 11:10 AM

Spark Plug replacement guide

What's up guys!

Scion xD forum noob here posting a first post about a quick procedure for changing the spark plugs on a xD. I'm sure that most of you are explicitly aware of the process involved in this routine maintenance job but for those of you who are mechanically noobish then you may prosper from this guide :hands:

Helpful diagrams:
xD spark plug diagram <--under parts listing, click on the 'more info' button and a window will pop up with the diagram

1) Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2) Remove the engine cover.

3) Remove the ignition coils:
Detach the 4 ignition coil connectors.
Remove the 4 bolts (one bolt for each coil), and remove the 4 ignition coils.

4) Use a spark plug wrench to remove the spark plugs.

5) Inspect the spark plugs, most likely they are worse for the wear which is why you're reading this walk-through in the first place :)

To install:

6) Use a spark plug wrench to install and tighten the spark plugs to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).

7) Install the ignition coil. Tighten the retainers to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).

8) Install the engine cover.

9) Connect the negative battery cable.

10) You're totally done! :party33:

-Tom

Skyon 10-18-2011 11:40 AM

problems with the replacement...

So I went to change the spark plugs for the first time on my xD. I've changed plugs numerous times on the Jeep I used to have and on friends cars. However, I'm having some trouble with this. I took off the coil packs and put the spark plug socket down the hole but when I tried to spin it, it would just spin freely. The socket wouldn't catch anything. And since I can't see down the hole because of it's position, I stuck a camera in and took a picture. I don't see any hexagon shape down there for a socket to grab, it just looks like a smooth round circle. Am I retarded here? Or is there something more involved with an 08 xd spark plug change?

bobolinko 10-30-2011 02:33 AM

Use a SMALLER SOCKET

CXTKRS1 10-30-2011 03:27 PM

Hope your camera took a bad pic. It sometimes can be a pain to get a rounded off plug out of an overhead cam engine.

Andyman 01-28-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyon (Post 12369)
So I went to change the spark plugs for the first time on my xD. I've changed plugs numerous times on the Jeep I used to have and on friends cars. However, I'm having some trouble with this. I took off the coil packs and put the spark plug socket down the hole but when I tried to spin it, it would just spin freely. The socket wouldn't catch anything. And since I can't see down the hole because of it's position, I stuck a camera in and took a picture. I don't see any hexagon shape down there for a socket to grab, it just looks like a smooth round circle. Am I retarded here? Or is there something more involved with an 08 xd spark plug change?

Hey - have you figured this out yet? I was just trying to change mine for the first time today, and experienced the same thing. Spark plug socket just spun, not grabbing anything. I tried fitting a new (uninstalled) spark plug into the socket, and found the body of the spark plug was too long, even for the "deep" socket, and that kept the socket from engaging the hex facets on the plug. I'm looking for a new socket.
Not sure what's up with the photo not showing the hex surfaces - I agree that it's annoying to not be able to see down inside.
Andy

CXTKRS1 01-29-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyman (Post 13028)
Hey - have you figured this out yet? I was just trying to change mine for the first time today, and experienced the same thing. Spark plug socket just spun, not grabbing anything. I tried fitting a new (uninstalled) spark plug into the socket, and found the body of the spark plug was too long, even for the "deep" socket, and that kept the socket from engaging the hex facets on the plug. I'm looking for a new socket.
Not sure what's up with the photo not showing the hex surfaces - I agree that it's annoying to not be able to see down inside.
Andy

Have you tried using an actual spark plug socket? They are a longer than your typical deep socket and have a rubber o ring at the back of the socket to help prevent breaking off the ceramic portion of the plug. If the spark plug socket fails then transfer the rubber o ring portion from the spark plug socket to an impact deep socket (about the longest you will find) and use that.

Andyman 01-29-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 (Post 13030)
Have you tried using an actual spark plug socket? They are a longer than your typical deep socket and have a rubber o ring at the back of the socket to help prevent breaking off the ceramic portion of the plug. If the spark plug socket fails then transfer the rubber o ring portion from the spark plug socket to an impact deep socket (about the longest you will find) and use that.

Yes, it was the "actual spark plug socket" that didn't work. Too short. The socket just spun because the ceramic body of the plug got in the way.

So I wanted to share my solution, for anyone else who's in the same boat. Since the xD's 14mm plug socket size seems quite rare - and even the 9/16" (SAE equivalent that fits, but loosely) isn't one of the most common sizes, it was tough to find many alternative spark plug sockets. The one I bought from Advance Auto Parts (KD Tools Swivel model for ~$13) was too shallow, and I couldn't find any other 14mm or 9/16" spark plug sockets locally. Didn't want to order online, in case those were too shallow too.
So I took one of my new plugs to Sears and confirmed that it fit in a regular (non-spark plug) 14mm deep socket (3/8" drive). $5.
Dropped a couple of rare earth magnets inside the ratchet-end of my socket. I used a universal joint directly on the 14mm socket, and a 6" extension behind that. This let me "snake" the plug/socket/joint/extension into the opening, without removing the windshield wiper shelf. (In case you don't have an xD, there's a big obtrusive chunk of plastic and metal that covers about half the engine compartment - really messes up access, but that's just part of the package with an xD!)
Anyway, the magnets stayed inside the socket just fine, and let me pick up the spark plug when I had loosened it, and let me insert the new one without just dropping it down into the well. I made sure each new plug was threaded correctly by starting it with my fingers on the socket extension - this let me feel that it was threading properly before adding the wrench to tighten it up.

I think the only things I didn't mention here are that I got my plugs (Denso 3444) from Rock Auto ($40 shipped), and that I put a little anti-seize on the threads before inserting the new plugs.

Hopefully this will make changing spark plugs on your Scion xD easier!
Andy

Mikem53 03-16-2012 08:30 AM

Good post !! Good advice.. The last thing you want to do on an OHC engine is strip a spark plug socket, or install a plug too loose !! Use the right socket, take your time and don't overtighten or cross-thread ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyman (Post 13032)
Yes, it was the "actual spark plug socket" that didn't work. Too short. The socket just spun because the ceramic body of the plug got in the way.

So I wanted to share my solution, for anyone else who's in the same boat. Since the xD's 14mm plug socket size seems quite rare - and even the 9/16" (SAE equivalent that fits, but loosely) isn't one of the most common sizes, it was tough to find many alternative spark plug sockets. The one I bought from Advance Auto Parts (KD Tools Swivel model for ~$13) was too shallow, and I couldn't find any other 14mm or 9/16" spark plug sockets locally. Didn't want to order online, in case those were too shallow too.
So I took one of my new plugs to Sears and confirmed that it fit in a regular (non-spark plug) 14mm deep socket (3/8" drive). $5.
Dropped a couple of rare earth magnets inside the ratchet-end of my socket. I used a universal joint directly on the 14mm socket, and a 6" extension behind that. This let me "snake" the plug/socket/joint/extension into the opening, without removing the windshield wiper shelf. (In case you don't have an xD, there's a big obtrusive chunk of plastic and metal that covers about half the engine compartment - really messes up access, but that's just part of the package with an xD!)
Anyway, the magnets stayed inside the socket just fine, and let me pick up the spark plug when I had loosened it, and let me insert the new one without just dropping it down into the well. I made sure each new plug was threaded correctly by starting it with my fingers on the socket extension - this let me feel that it was threading properly before adding the wrench to tighten it up.

I think the only things I didn't mention here are that I got my plugs (Denso 3444) from Rock Auto ($40 shipped), and that I put a little anti-seize on the threads before inserting the new plugs.

Hopefully this will make changing spark plugs on your Scion xD easier!
Andy

TheJonas53 03-19-2012 12:51 PM

There is a special socket you can buy. It is actually for Ford F-150 truck spark plugs. It is a 9/16" size. It is most likly not sold locally. You would have to hunt down a Cornwell, Matco, Mac, or Snapon tool truck. Part number is 6900 spark plug socket. You can Google it and click on Shopping and should be able to purchase it online. I have this socket and used it on my xD. It fits and works perfectly.

mo1395 03-21-2016 10:36 AM

Spark plugs

Thank you guys , I just register to say thanks for your information , you have saved me more than 100 dollars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciontologist Tom (Post 11459)
What's up guys!

Scion xD forum noob here posting a first post about a quick procedure for changing the spark plugs on a xD. I'm sure that most of you are explicitly aware of the process involved in this routine maintenance job but for those of you who are mechanically noobish then you may prosper from this guide :hands:

Helpful diagrams:
xD spark plug diagram <--under parts listing, click on the 'more info' button and a window will pop up with the diagram

1) Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2) Remove the engine cover.

3) Remove the ignition coils:
Detach the 4 ignition coil connectors.
Remove the 4 bolts (one bolt for each coil), and remove the 4 ignition coils.

4) Use a spark plug wrench to remove the spark plugs.

5) Inspect the spark plugs, most likely they are worse for the wear which is why you're reading this walk-through in the first place :)

To install:

6) Use a spark plug wrench to install and tighten the spark plugs to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).

7) Install the ignition coil. Tighten the retainers to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).

8) Install the engine cover.

9) Connect the negative battery cable.

10) You're totally done! :party33:

-Tom