Scion XD Forum

Scion XD Forum (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Does Scion/Toyota recommend this? (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=833)

mcbrew 09-08-2010 11:23 AM

Does Scion/Toyota recommend this?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...p/8c97a7b8.png

My new baby... Haven't even gotten it home yet. I picked it up on the way to work this morning, and now it sits out in then parking lot while I have to WORK until 7pm...

CXTKRS1 09-08-2010 11:57 AM

wow

mcbrew 09-08-2010 04:05 PM

I call it the couch, bed, stove, sink, beer fridge, lounge mod.

xd_kidd 09-08-2010 04:54 PM

And the countdown continues. Looks dangerous if going up the hil haha

Whack-A-Mole 09-08-2010 07:08 PM

What countdown? Mcbrew I like your tail lights. Where did you get them?

TexXBox 09-08-2010 08:49 PM

As a friend of mine would say "Oh my damn!"

If you're single you can tow it to the bars, put on your beer goggles 'til you're seeing in stereo and then make it home to bed without having to drive at all. Not to mention the fact that it is a portable fornicatorium.

If you're married it is a convenient place to sleep on one of those doghouse nights that is more comfortable than the couch plus out of range of the bitching.

But seriously, that is cool.

xd_kidd 09-08-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whack-A-Mole (Post 7787)
What countdown?

till he got off from work and see if he made it home without a broken tranny lol

mcbrew 09-08-2010 11:50 PM

Not only did I make it home, I got over 30 MPG towing it! Can't be that hard on the tranny if it isn't even working the engine that hard. The only thing that worries me is the tongue weight, buy it is still less than my hitch is rated for. Going to make some changes to balance it out better.

JDMJim 09-09-2010 08:44 AM

har har!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lf0wCbt4Bc

ThisorThatxD 09-09-2010 08:54 AM

that was exactly the vid i was thinking of... :happy175:

mcbrew 09-09-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whack-A-Mole (Post 7787)
What countdown? Mcbrew I like your tail lights. Where did you get them?

TYC from Scion. They don't offer themany more because of problems with water getting in and damaging them... haven't had a problem with mine yet. I did keep the originals, so I have a backup plan!

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMJim (Post 7799)

Everybody posts that video. The comparison is weak. You are comparing a 59 horsepower car towing a one ton trailer to a 128 horsepower car towing a half-ton trailer.

JDMJim 09-10-2010 01:19 PM

tongue in cheek Brew.

mcbrew 09-10-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMJim (Post 7828)
tongue in cheek Brew.

Yeah, I know... It's just that I'm in the middle of a huge debate on another forum (a camper forum) about tow ratings. People there claim that if a manufacturer (VW is the one in question) assigns a tow rating to the car from the factory, but a subsidiary company (VW of North America) decides to print a different number in their owners manual, then somehow it is not safe to tow the higher weight rating that the manufacturer actually comes up with.

Kind of like some trucks... A friend of mine is a plumber. He owned three truicks, each with around a 12,500 weight rating. Since they were over 10,000 pounds (the rating, not the weight), they always had to stop at weight stations on the highway. When he bought his fourth truck, it was exactly the same model, but he requested that that they put a lower weight rating on the sticker. They put 9,999 pounds. Now he doesn't have to stop at the weight station. The truck is EXACTLY the same... just a different number on the door jamb. It is not magically incapable of moving safely down the highway at 11,000 pounds... it is just a number.

VW rates the new Golf for approx. 3,300 pounds towing capacity. VW of N. America changed the number to 1,000 pounds. No difference in the car or its capabilities. It's like if someone told you that your xD can only carry one passenger in the US, but in Europe they get to carry four.

TexXBox 09-11-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbrew (Post 7834)
VW rates the new Golf for approx. 3,300 pounds towing capacity. VW of N. America changed the number to 1,000 pounds. No difference in the car or its capabilities. It's like if someone told you that your xD can only carry one passenger in the US, but in Europe they get to carry four.

You gotta love that the good old USA, home of the brave and land of the free is pretty much run by product liability attorneys. :)

JDMJim 09-11-2010 10:50 AM

yea, sounds like the "Outfit" was involved. back room discussions..." If you just put a different number on the door, we won't have to stop and waste our money" so runs the economy again?

Cylon_xD 09-18-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexXBox (Post 7790)
As a friend of mine would say "Oh my damn!"

If you're single you can tow it to the bars, put on your beer goggles 'til you're seeing in stereo and then make it home to bed without having to drive at all. Not to mention the fact that it is a portable fornicatorium.

If you're married it is a convenient place to sleep on one of those doghouse nights that is more comfortable than the couch plus out of range of the bitching.

Spoken just like a 40+ year old married man, TexXBox... I see you've had experience too... lol!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbrew (Post 7793)
Not only did I make it home, I got over 30 MPG towing it! Can't be that hard on the tranny if it isn't even working the engine that hard. The only thing that worries me is the tongue weight, buy it is still less than my hitch is rated for. Going to make some changes to balance it out better.

Just put a full keg in the fridge, McBrew... that should take some weight off the tongue...! ;)

mcbrew 09-18-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon_xD (Post 7933)
Just put a full keg in the fridge, McBrew... that should take some weight off the tongue...! ;)

No good... the fridge is ahead of the axle. Oh, and it is only a 1.9 cubic foot fridge. The keg will need to go in a tub of ice near the back of the Scamp.

Cylon, you may actually be able to beat my fuel economy... you with an empty xD and me pulling a camper! :laughing1:

TexXBox 09-19-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon_xD (Post 7933)
Spoken just like a 40+ year old married man, TexXBox... I see you've had experience too... lol!

:emotions33:

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbrew (Post 7934)
Cylon, you may actually be able to beat my fuel economy... you with an empty xD and me pulling a camper! :laughing1:

I probably still don't have a chance. Gonna have to look into helium shoes.

Or get one of those "Amazing" magnet sets that clamps around the fuel line and uses the "Power of Polarization" to align the fuel molecules and "Release the Dormant Power and Unused Energy" in my gas giving "Up to 20% More Horsepower and 30% Better Fuel Economy" for "Just Two Easy Payment of $19.95 Plus $30 for Rushed Delivery" and if I act now I can "Add Another To My Order for Just The Price of Shipping and Handling". :)

mcbrew 10-13-2010 09:18 PM

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...p/25344497.png

Towed the Scamp out to the eastern shore of Maryland last weekend -- about a 210 miles round trip. I got 25.7 MPG on that tank (27 MPG in the display). We will be towing it up to PA this weekend... but probably won't get as good fuel economy due to the hills.

Resolve 10-14-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbrew (Post 7834)

That is so when you tow something 1,001 pounds and something just happens to break they don't have to warrenty since you towed something of greater weight than what was posted. :laughing1: It's all business. :bleh:

Plus they know people always try to push the envelope and limits of most everything in the US and if max is 3,300 pounds towing they know if they put that someone will try to tow something that is 4,000 pounds and complain when it breaks. But if they put 1,000 and someone goes to tow 2,000 pounds it should be ok since true towing is 3,300 pounds and within actual manufacture towing capabilities.