Scion XD Forum

Scion XD Forum (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engine/Performance (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ptuning Turbo kit for the xD (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197)

TheLittleDeviant 09-04-2009 07:16 AM

Ptuning Turbo kit for the xD

I got this from Scionlife:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey_Boy (Post 3284772)
I'm in the process of purchasing a SCION, but i haven't decided on which one. I love the styling of the XD, but not the performance.

So because of this, I decided to contact the best company (IMO) currently making products for SCION, PTUNING. I asked if they were planning any sort of turbo kit for the XD, and I said that I was sure that if they produced one, many XD owners would buy it.

Here was their response,

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We definitely can produce a worthy turbo kit for the Scion xD.
However, like any big project, in order for us to commit money and time in R&D, we would also need commitments from potential customers.
Therefore, if we can get 10 Scion xD customers to commit a $2000 deposit each, we would love to start R&D as early as October of this year.
We would also need a stock xD for development for about a month. The person loaning the xD will get the final turbo kit for half off.

Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Mike @ PTUNING
ph: 703-257-1728
www.ptuning.com

I just thought I would share this incase anyone was interested, or just curious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTUNING (Post 3284854)
To clarify on the deposit. We don't need the deposit money to do the R&D. However, we need these deposit as commitment to the kit once they are in production. As with any company, we can not afford to put tons of money into R&D to sell one kit.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or concerns pertaining to this potential project.

Regards,
Mike @ PTUNING

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptuning_tuner (Post 3285153)
To all those that have spoken to us, met us, or just heard about us, thank you for the kind words.

Maybe Mike didn't make it too clear as to what the deposit was for. It's not to pay me or the PTUNING crew to do the actual R&D, it's to ensure that we have a fixed number of FULLY committed customers that are ready to pay the balance and receive their kits upon completion.

The difference between us and other smaller one-man operation shops that have failed in the past is that we do not try and manufacture all the final components in-house on an as you go basis. When we are done prototyping a particular part, we will have it manufactured in large quantities to ensure quality and repeatability of fit and finish. Unless we purposely make a running revision to a component of the kit, you can be sure that whether you recieve the first or the 100th intercooler piping set that they will all fit the same. Doing this the right way though cost mega dollars on our part. We often have to commit to producing components in quantities of 50-100 or more pieces at a time.

Now with only verbal commitments there is a very high probably rate that we as a company can end up sitting on several dozen of each component, which is not good.

Hope this helps to clarify things.

- Toan

They say they want to build a kit for us.

xDizzle 09-06-2009 04:28 PM

it would be pointless to turbo an auto rite??

misformartin 09-06-2009 08:12 PM

not at all alot of racecars are automatic for bracket racing... so that their times are always about the same : )

CXTKRS1 09-07-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDizzle (Post 1956)
it would be pointless to turbo an auto rite??

No some people actually prefer boosted autos over the manual cars.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

My question is will this turbo kit be worth the money? I mean will we turbo charge our cars and still get our doors blown off by stock Cobalt SS's and Mazdaspeed 3's?

M2-Motoring 09-07-2009 01:31 PM

you are comparing apples to oranges in that sense. mazdaspeed3's with very little mods actually become quite fast for a street car. same goes with cobalts ss's. if you are looking to outrun cars in the same class as scions, then yes, i see it happening, but do not forget. its not the turbo kit its the motor. turbo kit if you want more power, just keep cranking up the boost. the problem is the motor cant handle it.

YELOSUB 09-07-2009 11:54 PM

We should be able to get 200whp safely on our xD's with a proper tune without breaking anything and without upgrading internals...200whp on our xD's is alot of HP and I think it would surprise the heck out of us on what it could do...I sure wish my TT project would have been completed...

TheLittleDeviant 09-08-2009 09:48 AM

200WHP on an xD would crap all over cars like Civic, RSX's, tC's, Cobalts, etc... any of the specialty models of the cobalt/mazdaspeeds/etc... would be a little harder... But I can see a turbo xD winning against an Civic Si, or RSX type S etc...

everyone should keep in mind that the xD (at least my xD) is capable of beating a stock tC... when the tC has 40 more hp...

Mike, I cant wait to see what you come up with. will you be needing an R&D vehicle?