Scion XD Forum

Scion XD Forum (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rear center seat belt (http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808)

TexXBox 08-06-2010 10:16 PM

Rear center seat belt

Is there anyone out there that can get the rear center seat belt buckle to stay in the roof holder for longer than three days? It drives me frickin' crazy when it randomly pops loose and dangles in my peripheral vision via the rear view mirror.

JJGeneral1 08-07-2010 03:26 PM

mine's been in the holder for 6 months, with a sub. no issues here.

TexXBox 08-08-2010 12:35 AM

My car was a showroom demo for a few months before I bought it. I wonder if some genius managed to fubar something in the holder before I bought it. I just wanted to ask around to see if it was a common problem before I spent any effort on replacing/repairing it. I've heard "they all do that" enough times in my life that I figured I would try and find out if they did "all do that" for real first. :)

Ozzie 08-08-2010 01:50 AM

Mine does the same, drives me crazy. If you figure out a way to make it stay in, let us know.

Flipper 08-08-2010 03:27 PM

When I bought my xD it had already failed. & It drove me nuts too. I took my car into Toyota 5X and they replaced the housing 2x, @ 2 different dealerships! B4 I gave up on them fixing it. Back in march I decided on this soulution.After previously trying a hotglue gun.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...olaz/xDfix.jpg

It's less than elegant . . . but the seatbelt has stayed in place since the screw went in. if I was to do it over, the screw would be another 1/4> 1/2" to the (R) in the photo, for a less slipping-out look.

2ndly does anyone else's lower seatbelts get cought up in the raising & lowering of the back seats? The vinyl that surronds the webbing on the rear > left & center seat belts has gotten chewed up to the point of now being missing, from using my car as a hatchback. 3rd everytime I do have people riding in the back seats I have to explain the center vs left rear seatbelts "crisscross" pattern.
Overall if Toyota had just made them 4 seaters they would have avoided 99% of my cars "issues"

JJGeneral1 08-09-2010 09:11 PM

i dunno. i put the little one in the top, and the seat belt in the bottom hole, and they've stayed. even in my old xD. i haven't had any trouble.

TexXBox 08-12-2010 10:57 PM

I wonder if there is some kind of plastic spring tab in there that gets bent or something then starts losing its grip. Mine seems to fall out a little sooner each time than the time before. I've just been to lazy to take it apart and look. Might have to get off my butt and look at it this weekend.

JJGeneral1 08-17-2010 07:44 PM

I have heard of people having issues with it, if it's been in there once, and was pulled back out. Mine that i mention, I have only put them in once, and they stayed.

wooly willy 08-18-2010 12:24 AM

I hate having it dangle, and it never stays in, so I usually just have it buckled and ready to use. For whatever reason, the whole belt is easier to ignore than a dangling buckle. Is that weird?

Resolve 08-18-2010 04:13 PM

two solutions.

Logical side of me says take it out if you aren't going to use it.

Minitrucker side says duct tape the sh*t up there.

you choose lol.

TheLittleDeviant 08-18-2010 06:47 PM

I removed the entire center seat belt assembly from my xD due to this. I pulled the right panel and unscrewed the whole thing... lol, so it never gets in the way anymore...

TexXBox 08-18-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wooly willy (Post 7577)
I hate having it dangle, and it never stays in, so I usually just have it buckled and ready to use. For whatever reason, the whole belt is easier to ignore than a dangling buckle. Is that weird?

No, but my kids would use it to strangle each other if I left it in range. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resolve (Post 7586)
two solutions.

Logical side of me says take it out if you aren't going to use it.

Minitrucker side says duct tape the sh*t up there.

you choose lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLittleDeviant (Post 7589)
I removed the entire center seat belt assembly from my xD due to this. I pulled the right panel and unscrewed the whole thing... lol, so it never gets in the way anymore...

I would take it out if I didn't need it occasionally for haulin' the odd extra kid around.

With the exception of the lack of ease of operation I like the screw method Flipper resorted to.

TexXBox 09-04-2010 12:06 AM

I managed to get my lazy butt out and take the trim piece off the headliner the other day. I discovered that it is actually two pieces. There is an outside one that you see and that has the slots in it for the buckles. And there is an inside one that acts like the "bread" on a headliner sandwich. They are held together by several tabs that snap into slots. The inside piece has the part that retains the buckle molded into it. On my car the inside piece had become unsnapped from the outside piece and therefore the buckle retainer was no longer able to do its job. It was just a matter of a few carefully placed whacks with the palm of my hand to snap them back together and now my buckle stays in/up.

There are several ridges on the bottom piece that form a ramp to press the buckle up into the tab on the top piece. The snaps act as a spring to allow the pieces to flex apart as the buckle slides in and then capture it when the tab falls in the hole in the buckle.

When I was studying it, it seemed like it would be pretty easy to accidentally use the leverage of the buckle to unsnap the parts when you were putting it in the slot.

If the two parts are snapped together correctly you can see the buckle retention stuff in the slot pretty easily in the top of the opening. If they have come unsnapped then the top of the opening will be pretty empty.

I was so happy at my discovery and the simple fix that I forgot to take pictures when I had it out.

Sorry.