View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #2

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
I would say that if the engine can run 5w20 dino oil that there is no way it couldn't run 5w20 synthetic. The only difference between the oils is the chemistry used to create them. The viscosity indexes are the same.

With the advent of synthetics the oil companies have been able to create a "0" weight oil that is impossible to obtain with conventional oil. If an engine is designed for "0" weight oil then the bearing clearances might be small enough that an "over weight" oil like a 5w might be too thick to adequately lubricate the engine during start up and for the first few minutes of running no matter what the temperature.

Since our engines have been designed and run on 5w up until the '10 model year I can't imagine that using it now would make a difference. The switch to 0w specification is probably to provide a little bit of leeway to aid in the switch to the longer oil change intervals introduced for 2010. As the oil ages and sludges up over the longer interval it ends up about the same as the old 5w did during its life.

If you do use the 5w I would definitely change it at the old interval or sooner rather than the new extended one.