View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
tongue in cheek Brew.
Yeah, I know... It's just that I'm in the middle of a huge debate on another forum (a camper forum) about tow ratings. People there claim that if a manufacturer (VW is the one in question) assigns a tow rating to the car from the factory, but a subsidiary company (VW of North America) decides to print a different number in their owners manual, then somehow it is not safe to tow the higher weight rating that the manufacturer actually comes up with.

Kind of like some trucks... A friend of mine is a plumber. He owned three truicks, each with around a 12,500 weight rating. Since they were over 10,000 pounds (the rating, not the weight), they always had to stop at weight stations on the highway. When he bought his fourth truck, it was exactly the same model, but he requested that that they put a lower weight rating on the sticker. They put 9,999 pounds. Now he doesn't have to stop at the weight station. The truck is EXACTLY the same... just a different number on the door jamb. It is not magically incapable of moving safely down the highway at 11,000 pounds... it is just a number.

VW rates the new Golf for approx. 3,300 pounds towing capacity. VW of N. America changed the number to 1,000 pounds. No difference in the car or its capabilities. It's like if someone told you that your xD can only carry one passenger in the US, but in Europe they get to carry four.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote