View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #28
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
I was in need of another car when my VW Golf TDI was getting old and quirky. My list of priorities were:

- Good fuel economy 30+ at least. 35+ even better.
- Four door hatchback.
- Stability control (VSC).
- Good safety ratings.
- Manual transmission.
- The ability to tow 1,500# trailers.

Even though the average EPA rating for the xD is 28 MPG, I knew I could break 30, based on some reviews I saw. I was pretty sure I could break 35 and possibly 40. I was right about that -- my overall average is 37.2 MPG right now and rising. I have gotten a few tanks over 40 MPG... and as high as 41.6 in my normal commute. I can't wait to take it out on the highway to Michigan this fall and see what I can get! Oh, and that's true MPG, not the display. You can check out my progress on Fuelly.com (I also go by mcbrew on Fuelly).

Stability control was tough, since there weren't many 5-speed xDs that came with it. I had to wait and even change the color (even though I got the color I really wanted (red), it wasn't my wife's favorite). The thing I liked about the xD is that I didn't have to buy any "package" to get VSC. Honda makes you upgrade to the Sport and then to the Nav system before you can get stability control. That adds $2,500 to the price! Many other cars I looked at weren't available with stability control in the manual transmission or they didn't have it available with the most fuel efficient engine option.

The choice really came down to Fit or xD... and I prefer (slightly) the looks of the xD. Plus, my brother had just bought a Fit, and since the both of us drove VW Golfs for the past few years, I figured it was time for us to drive different makes!

As far as the towing, Toyota doesn't rate any of their cars for towing in the US because people here tend to be lawsuit-happy. They don't want to be responsible for someone getting into an accident at 90 MPH and a trailer flies off and kills someone. Fortunately, I was able to find out that the xD is largely based on the Yaris, which is rated to tow almost 2,000# (in Europe), and since I bought the xD, they have released it in England as the Urban Cruiser, which is rated to tow 1,900# (with a smaller engine than our xDs). I installed a Curt hitch and have towed three different trailers for hundreds of trouble-free miles. I'll be towing a trailer to PA (about 100 miles each way) to pick up some furniture this weekend. I still get more than 30 MPG with the trailer in tow!

Overall, I am very happy with the xD. It rattles and creaks more than the Golf... and the ride isn't as refined... but I think it is a lot of car for the money. I'm glad to see that they made VSC standard for 2010 models... well ahead of the 2012 deadline.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote