View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
'09 with 54,000 miles on it. No problems, just the recall repair. Five oil changes, replaced manual trans fluid with synthetic, and one set of tires.

Here's the real question: What do you mean when you ask how long it will last? The engine? The engine can be replaced or rebuilt. The transmission? Same answer. Body/frame rust? This could also be repaired. If you mean "when will repairs exceed cost of replacing the car," then you could quantify that answer (however, it would still be a guess). Right now, my '09 is worth $11,175 according to Kelley Blue Book. If my engine died today, it would be worth replacing it.

On the other hand, a 2001 Toyota Corolla (I used the Corolla because it is probably the most comparable car from 10 years ago) with 200,000 miles on it and in "fair" condition is worth $2,220. If you owned one, would you spend $2,000 in repairs to keep it on the road? Some people would, some people would not.

My father is a Mercedes mechanic, and he regularly has customers who spend more every two years keeping their cars running than they are worth. They just like their cars. They aren't even thinking about replacing them. Many of them have over 500,000 miles on them.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote