View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
OK here is my take. Possibly two things happened.

one if the water wash as high as you say it may have likely stalled because of the exhaust becomeing completely submerged and choking the engine. I have had it happen to me in the past and my friend had it happened recently on his lowered truck due to recent heavy rains here.

Second the reason for the rough running may have been that the MAF got wet and freaked out the readings until it dried real good. But this may have also caused the stalling situation. I had a friend with a first gen xB git water and his MAF got wet and fried and it wouldn't run correctly or stay running. had to pay $300 for MAF sensor.

Same thing kinda happend to me with my intake on my first gen xb. got real wet due to a puddle. I have no inner fender liners so water comes off tires and hits filter. normally not bad but I hit a puddle and it started stuttering a little. next day was fine after all dry. Depending on how wet your filter got it may have not been letting air through properly hence part of issues with starting/running.

Easiest thing to do is first get a filter sock. it covers the filter and helps try to prevent water getting on filter. and two if you can (not sure of your CAI set up) get the bypass filter. Like AEM has on there CAI for first gens. It is basically a foam connector type thing that fits between to of the pipes and in the case your filter goes under water the car will still breath and supposed to help prevent hydrolock. basically since there is a break in the line it acts like a hole in a straw. the engine cant suck liquid all the way up the tube.

As for the oil. I wouldn't suspect there to be water in it just from driving through a puddle. if there is you got another issue in itself trying to find out where your oil leak is or if there is a problem with your head gasket.

but overall glad it is running againg.