Thread: Hypermiling
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #5

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

Name: Mike
I only got 45 MPG one time drafting behind a trailer at 60 MPH. I can usually get between 36 and 40 MPG when I focus on it. I'm telling you guys, bumping up the air pressure in your tires has a dramatic effect on your mileage. Even if you do nothing else, you will see a difference of a couple of MPG. My stock tires are recomended at 44 PSI, and I put them at 47-48 PSI.

Yeah you feel a few more bumps and can sense more of the road changes, but for me saving money is just that, saving. If your tire pressure is below the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall, you will not get as good of mileage as is possible. More air pressure equals less rolling resistance, which equals better MPG. In an 11 gallon tank, even 2 MPG improvement is 22 miles, and it only gets better when you focus on it.

When I first got the car, I would get around 320 miles before I needed to fill up. Now when I work on it that number is up to 360 or better. It can be done, but you must change the way you drive. Now I don't always drive like a slug, only when hypermiling!

2gas2[1].jpg

Last edited by SciFion; 06-09-2009 at 11:50 AM.
SciFion is offline   Reply With Quote