View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #68
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Name: Thadeus
I'll title this as magic mid pipe.
After I bought my header I got a mid pipe made at my local Midas, and was not happy with the results. I could have taken it back and pulled teeth to fix a couple of things wrong with it, but didn't want to be bothered with it. The guy behind the counter kept building up to charge me more money, and the mechanic was honest but was missing the majority of his front teeth and was in his early 20s. So my complaints were they didn't use my mandrel bent pipe; they didn't install my resonator; one crush bent pipe had a couple of quarter size dents in it; my muffler was angled down and to the left; the whole setup rattled like a mad man with a cow bell; when they extended the o2 wire they didn't insalate it. The kid looked real proud of his work, and it took most of the day. I was quoted 4 hours install time, but the kid told me he was pulled off several times to work on other jobs. The man behind the came up to me directly after that. He was smiling, shaking his head, and looking at the ground when said " Welp, this job took longer than we expected". I quickly shut him down with "your mechanic just told me he has been pulled off this job several times." when he walks off I notice/ask the mechanic if the pipes are crush bent, they were. It was time for them to close at 6pm, so I go inside to settle the bill as they try to finish up, and the guy starts trying to build up again when I snap a little bit and we understand each other. $400 to install the header and custom make a mid pipe. As I try to leave they find that they left the keys in the ignition and the acc on. So my car was dead. With a quick push my car "rattled" back to life. The kid mechanic looked at me and said "you can bring it back tomorrow if it knocks or rattles." I just told him I won't be back with all my certainty. I rattled loudly down the road to my house when my CEL popped on. I was tired and needed to take a nap before work. So that's the back story.

Now the magical mid pipe. After hearing RPM was making a mid pipe for our through fitment on Yelosub's car I knew I had to get it. I got it in the mail, and got it installed through a recommended shop quickly without a problem. It now doesn't rattle, and I got it fit to the stock muffler until I get time to work on the axle back. The next part doesn't make sense to me, my CEL turned off on the way home. I thought the ecu would have to be reset. That's why I call it the magical mid pipe. Here's some pics of the mid pipe starting with one of the core of the cat.

Here's a pic showing the oem muffler bolted to the mid pipe. It fit like a glove.
Whack-A-Mole is offline   Reply With Quote