View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Andyman

Name: Andy
Originally Posted by Skyon View Post
So I went to change the spark plugs for the first time on my xD. I've changed plugs numerous times on the Jeep I used to have and on friends cars. However, I'm having some trouble with this. I took off the coil packs and put the spark plug socket down the hole but when I tried to spin it, it would just spin freely. The socket wouldn't catch anything. And since I can't see down the hole because of it's position, I stuck a camera in and took a picture. I don't see any hexagon shape down there for a socket to grab, it just looks like a smooth round circle. Am I retarded here? Or is there something more involved with an 08 xd spark plug change?
Hey - have you figured this out yet? I was just trying to change mine for the first time today, and experienced the same thing. Spark plug socket just spun, not grabbing anything. I tried fitting a new (uninstalled) spark plug into the socket, and found the body of the spark plug was too long, even for the "deep" socket, and that kept the socket from engaging the hex facets on the plug. I'm looking for a new socket.
Not sure what's up with the photo not showing the hex surfaces - I agree that it's annoying to not be able to see down inside.
Andy
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote