Thread: Hypermiling
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #49
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
I mean "throttle" as in the dictionary definition -- to restrict airflow; choke. Most diesels do not have anything that restricts airflow. No throttle body. Air passes freely into the combustion chamber (most often under pressure, since most modern diesels are turbocharged), and (as you said) fuel is adjusted to meet demand. Diesels do not have a tight stoichiometric ratio like gasoline engines.

It is common to refer to the pedal and fueling system of a diesel as the "throttle". Similarly, many people refer to the variable geometry system of a VNT-style turbocharger as the "waste gate". In fact, those turbos don't have waste gates.

Over on the diesel forums, you would get heckled for saying a diesel has a throttle... Just like mentioning your "gas mileage" or your "gas pedal".

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Oh, and I won't be getting stellar mileage on this new tank. I just hitched up my trailer. I have to tow it to work so that I can deliver a keg fridge to a customer tomorrow.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote