Thread: Hypermiling
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #56
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Originally Posted by TexXBox View Post
I guess I need to buy some lighter shoes or I'm destined for sub 30mpg.

Jesse, those 300d's were the Timex of cars, "Took a licking and kept on ticking". They were just about impossible to kill unless you hit them with a semi. And even then they would probably drive off anyway.

If you remembered to change the oil regularly, changed the fuel and air filters every so often and threw a can of Lubri-Moly in the tank occasionally they would easily hit 500k.
You're not kidding. My '83 had 410,000 miles on it when I sold it... and it is still a daily driver. I see the car around... and it has over 600,000 miles on it now. My brother bought a 1981 240D when he was 17 and sold it when he was 28. Not only did it have over 600,000 miles on it... it was still on the original clutch! I don't know if that one is still on the road, but it was still going strong when he sold it.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote