View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #21
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Well, in all honesty, people don't tend to drive as smart in this country. Not a personal jab at anyone here... there are good drivers in the US... but not on average. On another forum that I am active on, someone was just posting about their fuel economy when towing a camper at 75 MPH with their VW Golf. In most European countries, there is a lower speed limit for vehicles towing trailers... and they enforce it! I have seen 50 MPH limits or 90km/h speed limits for towing. Here in the US, I have seen plenty of people out on the interstates towing campers at 80+ MPH. I have towed all kinds of trailers, and I have done my share of stupid driving when I was 16-17, but I would never tow something at that speed now that I am as adult.

I think if trailers were limited to lower highway speeds, then car companies might condsider keeping the factory tow rating. However, I also believe it is to sell more profitable trucks and SUVs. They don't have many trucks or SUVs in Europe, due to the price of gas and diesel, so people tow what they need to tow with cars... and small cars at that.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote