Thread: Strut/Sway Bars
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #8

xDTool
Full Access Member

Name: Bob
Send a message via AIM to xDTool Send a message via Yahoo to xDTool
Originally Posted by KylexD View Post
LAID SOME KNOWLEDGE DOWN!!! Makes sense, strut bars go on top, sway bars go underneath. "if you just slap 2 big ass bars on the front and back, you will increase your turning capacity and such, but you will miss out on one of the nice tricks about swaybars." What is the nice trick? And basically struts and sways do the same thing, it just depends on your application for what you need. Seeing as you have had a D longer than me, what have you found to be the best? If I dont have to put one on the front, then no need to. I will just do a rear sway bar, Im thinking 20-22MM.
the trick is using swaybars to tune oversteer and understeer.

and not quite, the strut tower bar improves the chassis's rigidity between the 2 strut towers. it doesnt actually link the suspension together.

a sway bar actually links the suspension together, when theres no swaybar installed, and you corner, the weight of the car shifts to the outside corner. (ex: if you are accelerating out of a hard right turn , your rear left corner will take on a lot of the weight of the car. the swaybar reduced roll coefficient by "jacking" some of the weight. when the suspension compresses, it basically transfers some of its load through the endlink, through the sway bar itself to the other endlink to the other corner of the suspension, which somewhat compresses the other suspension, reducing roll, and weight transfer to that outside corner. (ex: if you are accelerating out of a hard right turn, your rear corner will take a lot of the weight of the car, the swaybar in turn transfers some of that to the back right corner, compressing the rear right spring/shock, reducing roll.

more on "the trick"
by having a big rear swaybar, you increase the proportion of roll stiffness at the rear axles, which changes the slip angle characteristics of the car. in this particular case the characteristics that the bigger rear swaybar induces is an oversteer characteristic, which in turn helps to reduce the heavy understeer characteristic on most fwd vehicles.

do some googling on oversteer, understeer and swaybars, tons of useful info to be had if you ever plan to do any kind of serious or competitive track/autox racing.

i dont have my d anymore hehe, but i found that the best thing you can really do is just get a good rear sway, microimage and trds both had some really good sways for the rear. between that and a good suspension such as a full trd setup, or a full body coilover setup and a good tire choice will enhance cornering significantly
xDTool is offline   Reply With Quote