View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #27
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Originally Posted by cobaltbravo View Post
Not to rain on the parade, but the yaris and xd have two fairly diffrent motors, as far as slapping parts on goes. We share our suspension and I think maybe a few parts on the trans, but that's about it.
Not to rain on your parade, but the TS Yaris has the same 1.8L engine the xD has and even mounted in the car the same way. The base yaris yes only has the 1.5 motor so will not match up.

Originally Posted by cobaltbravo View Post
Superchargers are fine if the kit is made for the model, but otherwise don't waste your time, turbo is easier and prob cheaper in the long run.
Please enlighten why adding a supercharger that is not part of a kit is different then adding a turbo that is not a kit?

If that was true then all the Domestic Muscle cars that add the big Weiand Superchargers are a waste of time as you say it. It's all FI that compresses air going into the engine. Only difference is Turbos run off exhaust gases and Supercharger runs off an Accessory Belt. Based on engine compartment I think it would be easuer to mount a supercharger in an xD than a turbo if someone would be brave enough to custom make a flange for it to bolt to the block.and figure out belts sizes and routing. They both have pros and cons but I wouldnt say either are a waste.

The main problem Scion will have is tuning. Finding someone that will/can tune the vehicle for boost. There are people out there have or had turbos on the xD and driving them. So creating a kit is not the issue. Tuning is. I am waiting on an update from SL about dude who had his boosted and runs 5psi with stock ECM. He was running no problem at last update. Only run into problems with more boost. Not saying you shouldn't get a tune anytime you boost because in perfect world you should, but not always necesary if low boost (within reason and capabilities of engine) and you monitor what's going on while hitting boost.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Looking at it and assuming previous cost are approx right so you are looking at about $7K to have a supercharger that is made for the engine and has been r&d and it is european (german or switzerland) so should be a reliable part. I would say it is alot of money yes, but if it is reliable and is made for this engine and works well and to be one of few to have it in USA i would say worth it. Sometimes you got to pay to play. only problem I see, which isnt necissarly a problem to me is that you loose your A/C. Looking at the pics they place where you put the propeller pulley is where the A/C is.

The increase in HP is about 81HP. So cost to increase is about .0115HP (81/7000) per dollar. That may not be alot, but when you consider what people pay for exhaust compared to gains then it is about average if not better. say you get 5HP from exhaust and you spend 350 you get .0142HP (5/350) per dollar.