View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #5

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
LOL^^^ cut it out Chris

Originally Posted by chingPO View Post
I read somewhere that with the newer cars and more advanced oils out there that it would be safe to change oil every 5K miles. Is that safe? what do you oher scion lovers do? do you still follow the 3months or 3k mile rule of thumb??
Scion's recommended oil change is at every 5,000 miles, check your manual it says it in there, I have never had my oil changed below 5,000... usually closer to 5,500 miles...

Changing the oil at every 3,000 miles is simply a waste of money, especially with the evidence that mcbrew posted... he is saying that at 7,750 miles, the oil is the same as it is at 3,700 miles, the only difference is that he is using a full synthetic oil where the standard oil used at dealerships is not a full synthetic...

I am about to jump on the full synthetic oil bandwagon and save myself some time and money inbetween oil changes...

I just want confirmation that the oil viscosity stays reasonable at around 10,000 miles and I will be a happy camper

McBrew I did have a question for you though, do you run with the oil change light on for the 2,750 mile difference? or are you resetting it? If so can you tell me how to reset it myself?

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote