Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Suspension

Suspension Wheels, tires, springs/coilovers, or any other suspension and handling related topics and questions.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Vengeful Squid
Full Access Member

Name: Mr Squid
Default What alignment specs do you have?
did a search and couldn't find what I needed, but basically looking for range of alignment specs for: front and rear toe, front and rear camber, and front caster. This is for stock or aftermarket suspension. Also, for those with lowered suspensions, are you using some kind of camber kit? How much adjustability do the stock suspensions have for toe/camber/caster?

thanks. I'm trying to get an idea of how "tweakable" the XD suspension is.

(btw for those who listed in another thread that their suspension alignment has not changed after lowering with aftermarket parts i call BS!)

Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
this site isn;t big enought o need all kinda of stickies and stuff. there seems to be two/three kinds of suspension setups. TRD( which i use), DF210's( too soft for the xD, Yaris spring rates and rear sits lower than the front) and hardparked.

offsets depend on the wheel. I use a +35 offset on some refurbished Konigs. I've seen deep wheels with a +42 used. So it depends. But +35+30 is a safe bet on a 7"wide.

On a TRD suspension, the drop isn't significant enough to warrant an alignment. granted I WOULD like a little more negative front camber to improve turn-in
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

Vengeful Squid
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
this site isn;t big enought o need all kinda of stickies and stuff. there seems to be two/three kinds of suspension setups. TRD( which i use), DF210's( too soft for the xD, Yaris spring rates and rear sits lower than the front) and hardparked.

**thanks for the reply. are there any photos of XDs with the TRD's on (profile shot)? i wanna see how low is the drop after settling.

offsets depend on the wheel. I use a +35 offset on some refurbished Konigs. I've seen deep wheels with a +42 used. So it depends. But +35+30 is a safe bet on a 7"wide.

good to know. went to tirerack site and most wheels for xd show +35. although i am leaning towards 16x7-8 or 17x7.5-8.

On a TRD suspension, the drop isn't significant enough to warrant an alignment. granted I WOULD like a little more negative front camber to improve turn-in

so are you saying that an alignment is only needed after a drop? if so, i disagree. even a car on stock suspension without a drop would benefit from an alignment if performance gains are desired. this and playing with tire pressures are a couple of the easiest bang for buck mods.not sure if you get alignments regularly, but if not you should as the car's suspension specs shift (unharmoniously) over a period of time. do you have notes of the car's specs before and after the TRD spring install? how about the spec differences after the springs settled to say, a few months/period of time down the road? I'm curious to see how much that has changed.

my replies are underlined above

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

oh also, what are your specs for front and rear toe, as well as front and rear camber and caster?

Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #4

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

I don't have aligment specs for my xD. The Suspension was already on teh car when I picked it up. Altho I didn't say a car wouldn't benefit from an alignment even if stock, that wasn't the question at hand, or so I didn't read it that way. You don't have to preach suspension basics to me. I built my car prior to owning the xD for autocross. Koni shocks, MOPAR springs Addco rear swaybar. Dunlop FM901 tires, underdrive pulley, SRI short throw shifter. all for a V-6 Daytona...
Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #5

Vengeful Squid
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
I don't have aligment specs for my xD. The Suspension was already on teh car when I picked it up. Altho I didn't say a car wouldn't benefit from an alignment even if stock, that wasn't the question at hand, or so I didn't read it that way. You don't have to preach suspension basics to me. I built my car prior to owning the xD for autocross. Koni shocks, MOPAR springs Addco rear swaybar. Dunlop FM901 tires, underdrive pulley, SRI short throw shifter. all for a V-6 Daytona...

(guess i misunderstood your comment, didn't mean to preach). that Daytona sounds like a mean sonuvabeach.
back on topic: i'll wait if more people reply. i'm not sure if this forum site is just tiny or kinda dead or a combo of both. are there other XD oriented sites i could look into? what about that scionlife site?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
ramrat1

Name: Fred
trd springs come with alignment specs.

If you go to the second to last page of the install pdf. On the bottom is the specs.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PTR11-52081inst.pdf
ramrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #7

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

TRD drop which is more noticable than you think. the car is much more squat than a stock suspension setup. This setup does not ,as they say, settle. It's been this way for 2.5 years

Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #8

Vengeful Squid
Full Access Member

wow that's actually a decent drop (a good thing). when i had a corolla i had trd springs on tokico blue shocks/struts. can i use that same brand setup for the xd you think? those look like Silverstar bulbs! nice

Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #9

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

194 LED bulbs in the headlights...city light
Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #10

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Eibach makes a set of their Sportline springs that they claim is specificaly for the Scion, not the Yaris, that's listed at -1.7 front and -1.4 rear. I think I remember someone on here has them, but I'm not sure. I am thinking of getting a set myself. Just waiting on the time, money and some more assurance that they are really what I want.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #11

Vengeful Squid
Full Access Member

^^cool i'm leaning towards Sportlines or TRD. called H&R and despite them having springs for Yaris they said it was different for the ones for the XD-----which are still in the R&D stage for the next 6-8 weeks. Stechs waaaaay too bouncy for my taste.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
^^^So basically H&R must be tweaking the spring rates for the xD.

as for your OP IDK the specs never paid attention to them and haven't had an alignment. from personal road test car drives fairly straight and no obvious signs of tire wear so I am good. Besides at this time an alignment would be pointless for me until I finish my suspension.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #13

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Yeah, sounds like H&R is actually willing to admit that even though the Yaris and xD are on the same platform, they actually weigh in at a different amount and have a different weight distribution. If the do come up with a set, I might get them if the drop is right. I had a set of H&R's on my 1st gen xB along with their dampers and loved it. Nice drop, handled like a &()*%%$ and rode better than stock.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #14

Vengeful Squid
Full Access Member

just saw several eBAy sales for H&R springs for XD, 2008-2011, part #54607. When i went to the H&R home website they also had the same part number for that year. so....i guess they DO EXIST. but i'd contact the eBay seller to CONFIRM the part numbers just in case.

another question to you guys/gals: do you get alignments periodically or ONLY after certain number of suspension mods? i was told to do them periodically. i aim for about every 10-12 months on my cars.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #15

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

I've been saying that since people were putting Yaris Tanabe's on the xD. the Yaris axle is so delicate compared to ours. that alone told me something about the two cars and why the xD's sag using them