Welcome to the Scion XD Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Scion XD Forum > Scion XD Forum News > Site News

Site News Here is where you will find updates that are happening to ScionXDForum.com

Old 10-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #1
jackchen

Name: jackchen
Default Include all of my experiences with LED bulbs for others to read.
I had a 2011 Supercab in which I installed LED headlights and fog lights and they worked great with no problems. I traded the 2011 in for a 2015 Supercrew and installed LED headlight lamps, fog lights and a pair of switchback front turn signal/running light bulbs. The 2015 came with LED rear lights as it also has the blindspot radar system. The switchback bulbs caused hyperflash at the dash turn indicators but the front turn signals did not work nor did I have the white function of the switchback bulb when it should have been in a running light mode. The rear turn signals continued to work fine though. I also had an issue with one low-beam headlight going out after several minutes but it would come back on again when I cycled through the light switch from auto light to the headlights 'always on' position. The fog lights and high-beams always worked fine AND if the truck was not running but the ignition was on everything worked perfectly. The problems existed only when the truck was running and the vehicle's computer was operating.

I installed resistors on the turn signal circuit wires and this cured the problem of the hyperflash at the dash turn indicators but the front turn signals STILL did not work. I also still did not have the white function of the switchback LED bulb in the running light mode and the low-beam headlight would still go out after a few minutes. I put resistors inline of the running lights and also installed plug-in resistor harnesses for the low-beam lights. The front turn signal/parking lights still did not work with the vehicle running although the low-beam headlights did work for a longer period of time before the one lights would turn off.

While rersearching this problem I read online that Ford had a recommended service bulletin that stated that the 'lamp out' function of the Body Control Module could be programmed to 'off' and that did solve the online poster's issue of wacky problems when using LED lamps in his vehicle. I went to the dealer where I bought my truck and showed them the bulletin. They accessed the Body Control Module but there was no 'lamp-out' function on the 2015 F150 in the computer setup so there was nothing to turn off to solve the problems with using LED lamps.

I have since removed the turn signal/running light switchback LED bulbs and their resistors and reinstalled the old incandescant bulbs. But, not willing to give up the brightness and improved lighting qualities of the LED headlights I am still trying to find a solution to the one low-beam headlight going out after about 15 minutes of driving.

Since electrical current is at it's strongest in colder weather I am expecting that once warm weather comes around and the current drops there will be no problem with the computer shutting down the one LED low-beam headlights but that just doesn't cut it for right now when you need both headlights in the Winter weather.

There HAS to be a solution to all of this since emergency and police vehicles use a lot of LED lights and they function correctly...

So, has anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by jackchen; 10-12-2017 at 06:20 AM.
jackchen is offline   Reply With Quote