Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #1

smirv

Name: Ryan
Default Xd Quality
Hello Xd forum. Im doing a little research on the Xd, thinking about buying one. Reading the professional reviews is one thing but I want to know what the actual owners think. Im looking for your guys opinions on quality, average MPG, how it drives, etc. Ill tell you up front Im not really looking to mod it. Thanks in advance.
smirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #2

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
Best bang for the buck you can find. I average about 40mpg.

Only complaint I have is that the seats are not height adjustable...other than that the xD gets two thumbs up from me.

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #3

smirv

Name: Ryan
Originally Posted by TheLittleDeviant View Post
Best bang for the buck you can find. I average about 40mpg.

Only complaint I have is that the seats are not height adjustable...other than that the xD gets two thumbs up from me.
40mpg?? Wow thats really good. Do you get that by keeping it below 3000rpm??? How many miles on the xD do you have??? Hows the rattles?
smirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Two thumbs up as well. I get about 29 to 32 MPG but I drive spiritedly. But on a long trip from to New Orleans got average of about 40 to 45 MPG. But as far as the class it is in you get good quality for the price. Meaning dont expect Mercedes Quality at the price.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Originally Posted by smirv View Post
40mpg?? Wow thats really good. Do you get that by keeping it below 3000rpm??? How many miles on the xD do you have??? Hows the rattles?
I am about to turn 36,000 and have had it a little over a year and a half. I have a few rattle but more so from my mods and not the car itself. You may find little noises here and there but the either are not heard when radio is on or you learn to tune them out. nothing overly annoying though

Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
MoFaux

Name: Mo
I'd say that for the money the xD is a really good value. I have had mine for about 9 months and have around 18,000 miles on it.

The ride is tight and smooth, its a pleasure to drive.

Road noise is a little loud over 65 MPH, but that is to be expected with a smaller inexpensive car (I just turn up the volume on the radio.....).

I average around 34 MPG with 50/50 highway/town driving. Full tank highway I have got as high as 39.

The only complaint I have about the car is it does not come stock with a center arm rest (which I am looking to add real soon).

Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
JJGeneral1
Full Access Member

Name: Joe
Originally Posted by smirv View Post
my road trip i took last year, i averaged 41.8 MPG. i went 444.2 miles on 10.628 gallons.
JJGeneral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Decent power along with acceptable fuel economy makes this car a great little DD.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
My average is just over 36 MPG, and that is calculated, not going by the display, which tends to be 2-3 MPG high. My mileage would be better, but I tow a lot. I just drove 200 miles to pick up a Coke machine that weighs over 800 pounds (plus the 450 pound trailer). I got over 30 MPG towing that load on the interstate. My best tank was about 42 MPG.

Otherwise, the car is obviously a lower priced car, but not terrible. I am used to German cars, so it is not quite up to the feel and the fit and finish... But it is what I expected for the money. The engine should be less trouble than a VW or Mercedes.

I wanted a 4 door hatchback with a manual trans and stability control, the ability to tow at least 1,500 pounds, at least 35 MPG, and the ability to pay it off in 3 years with a sub-$400 payment. I got all of this in the xD.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #9

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
Im almost at 73,000 miles, and no I drive it normal, dont really beat on it too much though

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
trueblue

Name: trueblue
I have about 10k on a 2009 (automatic transmission) and average 28-32 driving, mostly, local roads. I only have it 5 months an it hasn't been on a road trip yet. Before this I had a Suzuki Forenza and was getting 19 mpg; I'm much happier! I'm a pretty tame driver but find it rides well and was priced a good deal less than the other cars I was considering at the time.
trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #11

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
I'm ready for my 3rd oil change...hee hee....i got that squeak coming from the shift linkage again......grrrr....
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #12

x2cafn8dx
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: 2cafn8d
Send a message via AIM to x2cafn8dx Send a message via Yahoo to x2cafn8dx
I love mine. It's got about 20k miles on it and I've done ALOT of road trips. I average about 45mpg on trips and 34mpg in town. I drive like a good kid most often, I do jump on it occasionally if in the mood lol. Mine is a Manual.

I love the way it handles, I will say though that purchasing the rear sway bar was the best investment I've made for ANY car i've ever owned.
x2cafn8dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #13

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
haha! I know im like 6 months behind, but i thought i would share my opinion. I love my 08' xD and wouldnt have any other car. I drive at least 40-45 miles a day. I nearly live in this thing. I had it for about a year and average 26 miles city and 40 highway. I do push mine a bit, I always believed if you like to go fast then do it. So far no problems at all. Its a lot better than my old 96' tacoma v6 that got a full 5mpg city and 12 highway lol.
simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #14

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
I don't know if I'd go so far to say I wouldn't drive anything else, but the xD IS a beast in some ways. just boring to drive in others. This car inspires me very little.
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #15

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
ok, I will be reluctant to drive something else. After driving a beat up truck that got horrible mpg and would only start when it wanted, this is like a freakin dream for me... this car is what also got me into working and modifying cars. I have hardly even worked on my personal one though lol
simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #16

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

Name: Mike
My RS1 now has over 40,000 miles and I finally got a flat. It handles well with the TRD springs that came on it, and is easy to drive away from most other cars in the twisties.

My best milage was also 45mpg, but usually average in the mid thirties. Lovin' mine, it's still turning heads nearly 3 years later and has been rock solid.

SciFion is offline   Reply With Quote