Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Post A comparison review between DC Sports, Precision, and TRD axle backs.
Going through tons of reviews I also had the chance to listen to a TRD, Precision Muffler and a DC Sports unit. I would like to make this thread so that others would similar questions could have some answers instead of making a $400 mistake.

Toyota Racing Development

The TRD unit from what I have seen was a well constructed piece and fit was spot as per TRD construction. Price runs around $400 to $450 shipped on average. The TRD is the quiet one out of the three I listened to which of course is not a bad thing. The tone is low and mellow with little resonance into the interior of the car. I did not notice any sound resembling back fire or the stereo typical ricer rasp coming from the xD. Freeway drone blow 75mph was low to almost nonexistent as the wind and road noise sometimes would drown out the sound of the muffler (yes Louisiana roads can be that bad). If you throw the hammer down with the TRD you would have a nice loud deep tone coming out of your exhaust with the note never breaking step. The muffler tucks up in the car nicely and ground clearance would not be issue unless you lowered car a lot (guessing 1.75 inches plus)

Precision Muffler

Basically a magnaflow muffler with piping and hanger bars welded to it. Price is around 340 shipped. Out of the three this unit has the worst finish as their are exposed welds everywhere but none can be seen unless you actually crawl underneath the car. Sound is deep and mellow similar to the TRD but just a little louder. Pass up 3800 RPM and the car will get very loud. Some popping can be noticed on shifting but I have not heard any rasp during WOT passes. Fit was spot on and tucks up just fine. The tip is fairly big so it does hang down a bit to keep the bumper from turning into melted cheese. Muffler is double wall straight through design which helps cut down on resonance you hear in the car at freeway speeds.

DC Sports

Price on average from what I have seen is around $400 shipped. Fit and finish was on par with that of the TRD model. The loudest of the three by far and also the most ricer sounding. Tone is deep but can break up in the higher RPM bands and produce a rasp you can hear inside the car. Like the Precision brand tone changes can be heard on shifts as well. The DC Sports unit hangs a little bit lower then the Precision axle back which would cause someone to use caution when driving even if the car was lowered with TRD springs.

Now out of those three I went with.....

Yep the Precision muffler axle back. For me the reasons I went with the Precision unit are few but of importance. Price, sound, and clearance. This is not to say the other three axle backs are junk they are just for different people. The TRD is perfect for someone who wants an OEM Toyota product and wants to a little tone/muscle added to their xD. The DC Sports is great for someone who wants a straight up loud car. I plan to add a header to my car as well as lower it so that pretty much knocks out the DC Sports model. I would have ran the risk of scraping the axle back plus with opening up the exhaust I could have been left with a car that was just stupid loud.

I would like to thank xD owners who let me listen/drive their rides and if any members have questions feel free to ask.

Also go easy on grammar and spelling as this was all done from my Android phone.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #2

xDTool
Full Access Member

Name: Bob
Send a message via AIM to xDTool Send a message via Yahoo to xDTool
Nice work on the review. I'll eventually get an exhaust for my car, just havnt gotten to the point of spending 300$ on an axle back yet... Magnaflow will likely be my choice as well though unless something else pops out.

Also, PM me when you get ready to lower your car. I'm an hour away and have some DF's laying around that I'll give you a knockout price on.
xDTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #3

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Troy
I picked up a brand new TRD exhaust on Ebay a year ago for a great price, $219 plus free shipping, so I am very happy with the cost aspect; Also the appearance is very nice, well finished and polished. But, even though the TRD is listed as the most quiet of the three, I will say that even at constant highway speeds, it does make enough of a drone to people riding in the back seat that they have a hard time hearing a conversation between the two front seat riders, so it does create some interior noise. Now, I DO have one of those D-I-Y $30 "short ram" conical air filters installed on the engine in place of the stock air box, so that may be contributing to some of the extra sound coming from the TRD... But overall, I'm pleased with the sound I get from it paired with the ram air filter. Not too loud, and definitely doesn't get raspy, ricey, or break up at all.

But then, I'm an old fart, so what do I know...lol!