Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Default Does Scion/Toyota recommend this?

My new baby... Haven't even gotten it home yet. I picked it up on the way to work this morning, and now it sits out in then parking lot while I have to WORK until 7pm...

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
wow
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
mcbrew
Full Access Member

I call it the couch, bed, stove, sink, beer fridge, lounge mod.

Current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Lineartronic CVT transmission. Steel Silver.

SOLD: 2009 Scion xD - BRM, 16" alloys, VSC, K&N drop-in air filter, Thule Aero roof bars, TRD sway bar, TRD short shift, TYC LED tails, Curt class-1 tow hitch, Italian leather shift & brake boots, Red Line MT-90 in the trans, Amsoil 0w20 in the engine, ATE SuperBlue Racing brake fluid.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #4

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
And the countdown continues. Looks dangerous if going up the hil haha
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Name: Thadeus
What countdown? Mcbrew I like your tail lights. Where did you get them?
Whack-A-Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #6

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
As a friend of mine would say "Oh my damn!"

If you're single you can tow it to the bars, put on your beer goggles 'til you're seeing in stereo and then make it home to bed without having to drive at all. Not to mention the fact that it is a portable fornicatorium.

If you're married it is a convenient place to sleep on one of those doghouse nights that is more comfortable than the couch plus out of range of the bitching.

But seriously, that is cool.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #7

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
Originally Posted by Whack-A-Mole View Post
What countdown?
till he got off from work and see if he made it home without a broken tranny lol
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #8
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Not only did I make it home, I got over 30 MPG towing it! Can't be that hard on the tranny if it isn't even working the engine that hard. The only thing that worries me is the tongue weight, buy it is still less than my hitch is rated for. Going to make some changes to balance it out better.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #9

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
har har!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lf0wCbt4Bc
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #10

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

Name: Chris
that was exactly the vid i was thinking of...
ThisorThatxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #11
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Whack-A-Mole View Post
What countdown? Mcbrew I like your tail lights. Where did you get them?
TYC from Scion. They don't offer themany more because of problems with water getting in and damaging them... haven't had a problem with mine yet. I did keep the originals, so I have a backup plan!

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
Everybody posts that video. The comparison is weak. You are comparing a 59 horsepower car towing a one ton trailer to a 128 horsepower car towing a half-ton trailer.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #12

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

tongue in cheek Brew.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
tongue in cheek Brew.
Yeah, I know... It's just that I'm in the middle of a huge debate on another forum (a camper forum) about tow ratings. People there claim that if a manufacturer (VW is the one in question) assigns a tow rating to the car from the factory, but a subsidiary company (VW of North America) decides to print a different number in their owners manual, then somehow it is not safe to tow the higher weight rating that the manufacturer actually comes up with.

Kind of like some trucks... A friend of mine is a plumber. He owned three truicks, each with around a 12,500 weight rating. Since they were over 10,000 pounds (the rating, not the weight), they always had to stop at weight stations on the highway. When he bought his fourth truck, it was exactly the same model, but he requested that that they put a lower weight rating on the sticker. They put 9,999 pounds. Now he doesn't have to stop at the weight station. The truck is EXACTLY the same... just a different number on the door jamb. It is not magically incapable of moving safely down the highway at 11,000 pounds... it is just a number.

VW rates the new Golf for approx. 3,300 pounds towing capacity. VW of N. America changed the number to 1,000 pounds. No difference in the car or its capabilities. It's like if someone told you that your xD can only carry one passenger in the US, but in Europe they get to carry four.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #14

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
VW rates the new Golf for approx. 3,300 pounds towing capacity. VW of N. America changed the number to 1,000 pounds. No difference in the car or its capabilities. It's like if someone told you that your xD can only carry one passenger in the US, but in Europe they get to carry four.

You gotta love that the good old USA, home of the brave and land of the free is pretty much run by product liability attorneys.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #15

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

yea, sounds like the "Outfit" was involved. back room discussions..." If you just put a different number on the door, we won't have to stop and waste our money" so runs the economy again?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #16

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Troy
Originally Posted by TexXBox View Post
As a friend of mine would say "Oh my damn!"

If you're single you can tow it to the bars, put on your beer goggles 'til you're seeing in stereo and then make it home to bed without having to drive at all. Not to mention the fact that it is a portable fornicatorium.

If you're married it is a convenient place to sleep on one of those doghouse nights that is more comfortable than the couch plus out of range of the bitching.
Spoken just like a 40+ year old married man, TexXBox... I see you've had experience too... lol!

Not only did I make it home, I got over 30 MPG towing it! Can't be that hard on the tranny if it isn't even working the engine that hard. The only thing that worries me is the tongue weight, buy it is still less than my hitch is rated for. Going to make some changes to balance it out better.
Just put a full keg in the fridge, McBrew... that should take some weight off the tongue...!

Last edited by Cylon_xD; 09-18-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Cylon_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #17
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Cylon_xD View Post
Just put a full keg in the fridge, McBrew... that should take some weight off the tongue...!
No good... the fridge is ahead of the axle. Oh, and it is only a 1.9 cubic foot fridge. The keg will need to go in a tub of ice near the back of the Scamp.

Cylon, you may actually be able to beat my fuel economy... you with an empty xD and me pulling a camper!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #18

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Cylon_xD View Post
Spoken just like a 40+ year old married man, TexXBox... I see you've had experience too... lol!

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Cylon, you may actually be able to beat my fuel economy... you with an empty xD and me pulling a camper!
I probably still don't have a chance. Gonna have to look into helium shoes.

Or get one of those "Amazing" magnet sets that clamps around the fuel line and uses the "Power of Polarization" to align the fuel molecules and "Release the Dormant Power and Unused Energy" in my gas giving "Up to 20% More Horsepower and 30% Better Fuel Economy" for "Just Two Easy Payment of $19.95 Plus $30 for Rushed Delivery" and if I act now I can "Add Another To My Order for Just The Price of Shipping and Handling".

Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #19
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Towed the Scamp out to the eastern shore of Maryland last weekend -- about a 210 miles round trip. I got 25.7 MPG on that tank (27 MPG in the display). We will be towing it up to PA this weekend... but probably won't get as good fuel economy due to the hills.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #20
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
That is so when you tow something 1,001 pounds and something just happens to break they don't have to warrenty since you towed something of greater weight than what was posted. It's all business.

Plus they know people always try to push the envelope and limits of most everything in the US and if max is 3,300 pounds towing they know if they put that someone will try to tow something that is 4,000 pounds and complain when it breaks. But if they put 1,000 and someone goes to tow 2,000 pounds it should be ok since true towing is 3,300 pounds and within actual manufacture towing capabilities.