Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Zilvinas

Name: Zilvinas
Default Are performance chips a myth?
Hello.

Actually, I haven't met anyone yet, who uses a performance chip. Though there are so many chip sellers (manufacturers) around.

So - are performance chips a myth?

P.S. I drive Scion xD RS 2.0
Zilvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #2

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
Originally Posted by Zilvinas View Post
Hello.

Actually, I haven't met anyone yet, who uses a performance chip. Though there are so many chip sellers (manufacturers) around.

So - are performance chips a myth?

P.S. I drive Scion xD RS 2.0
yes unless you get unichip to custom make one.
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Zilvinas

Name: Zilvinas
Thanks.

I'm very new here... Could you explain it more in detail? And do you use any?
Zilvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #4

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Manufacturers have big budgets and lots of resources. It is in their best interest to optimize the engine management systems to perform as well as possible in all areas of performance. That includes driveability, fuel economy, power, ignition timing, altitude compensation, hot starting, cold starting, warm-up, etc. While they must obviously make some compromises here and there, they do achieve a pretty seamless overall package.

With a totally stock system you would have to give up something (mileage, driveability, low end performance, etc.) to get something else like more power at the top end. And most chip "tuner" companies don't have a lot of resources and have to "reverse engineer" the stock chip and make an educated guess at what might be "better". Usually they don't do so well. If you get 2 or 3 % more top end power at the expense of 5 or more MPG and a "flat spot" just off idle and a lean surge at 30-40 MPH is it worth it? Usually not.

Most factory systems have enough built in "adjust-ability" to compensate for minor mods like uprated air filters and freer flowing exhaust.

If you do major performance mods that end up requiring more than the stock system can provide then a custom tuned chip and fuel system mods are in order. The ONLY way to successfully set up the system is with a dyno and calibrated fuel mixture measuring devices to program that chip for that specific engine. There is NO practical way to program a chip for an engine by estimation and therefore NO way an "off the shelf" aftermarket chip can be an exact match for any tuned engine unless that engines needs happens to exactly match the parameters programmed onto the chip.

I wouldn't put a dollar on the odds of that happening.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
^^^that. Plus our ECUs are smart and will learn the chip and mod and compensate for it. CHips are a waste of money for most modern cars unless you are doing major engine mods then you would go with standalones and such.

Most chips out today are nothing more than resistor to mess with the ecu to think it need more fuel and when it dumps the fuel you FEEL a little more performance at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) but really you are just running the engine richer and wasting gas.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #6

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
I would run a chip if ii gots all bolt on parts including and intake mani. That's when the chip will make more power. Chips give a certain percentage like 15- 20% from the power that your car has so get some 1st
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:17 AM   #7
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Originally Posted by spenceton View Post
Most people think that performance chips are a mere waste of money, but in reality, performance chips actually have benefits for your car. They actually help boost horsepower and torque. Well that is just my opinion.
Chips went out in the 80's and 90's. ECU tuning or standalone units is what is done in today's market. And yes depending on the vehicle sometimes benefits can be seen with just a reflash...just ask anyone who mods a full size truck.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote