Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
jetXD

Name: Jacob
Unhappy A/C compressor replacement
A/C recently stopped blowing cold air on my 08 with 59K miles. I took it to a dealer this past weekend to get it checked out and they said I need a new compressor. Not the news I wanted to hear, but I figured not as bad as it could have been. Then they quoted me at $2900! $2300 for the part alone and then labor. The service guy said it was something they'd have to special order and made it sound like it was some super exclusive part that only the xD uses which is why it's so expensive.

There can't be just one compatible part and that's it, right? A quick search on Autozone pulls up 4 different compressors for the xD, around $600 max for the part (what I was anticipating).
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

(Would any of these work? I thought I'd read somewhere Denso is the OEM, right?)

I even found one dealer parts site that had one for about $1600 (marked down from $2100 retail), so at the very least I know there's a bit of a markup on my quote.

If anyone has any advice or has had their compressor replaced, please help! I'd really appreciate it.

(Other possibly useful info: I had my water pump replaced under warranty about a month ago. A/C compressor was ok at the time of repair according to the shop. Any possibly connection here?)
jetXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
You don't just replace a compressor when you do an A/C job so ask them is that price just for one part or what. Also did it stop blowing cold air all of a sudden or did the air coming out of the vents gradually become warmer as time passed?
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote