Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Audio/Interior Electronics

Audio/Interior Electronics Questions, tips/advice, comments and all things about car audio and other interior gagets.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
gregsteeg

Name: xxxD
Default Etc adjustable throttle controller
I just installed a ETC ADJUSTABLE THROTTLE CONTROLLER.
Did it at work in the parking lot it took 5 minutes.
I bought it @ twptrade.com $150 shipped.
Actually it's $160 but I tried "10off" in the code box & it worked.
They are the same company that made the Blitz ETC and use the same quality parts they say.
I'm very happy with it & figure it should pay for itself in gas savings.
Plus the sports mode is fun too.

Last edited by gregsteeg; 01-15-2010 at 11:38 PM.
gregsteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #2

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
Really? I wanted to pick up a blitz unit, but was holding off due to price... 150 shipped is the price I was looking for. have you noticed any negatives about it?

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
misformartin
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to misformartin
agreed want to know more.. i to was looking at picking up the TOMS"S unit... but for 150 cant go wrong??? how hard was install ?

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

also this kit looks alot like the pivot racing one... ???? an connection between the 2?
misformartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #4

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
it seems alot of companies are making "knockoffs"( for a lack of a better word) of other stuff. BRM21 produces the TOM's or Blitz unit i heard. gosh, i don't remember now
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
gregsteeg

Default Have had it for a week now no problems.
Very easy to install only 5 minutes.
I didn't install the reverse wire disconnect.
Have had it for a week now no problems.
My gas mileage has increased by 2 MPGs.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
now the gas mileage will match the dash readout
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
gregsteeg

Sorry the Avg Mpg readout is still off.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
biffburger

Name: Enter your name or name you wish to be refered to as.
Default Is it still working ok

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 AM ----------

Last edited by TheLittleDeviant; 01-16-2010 at 10:10 AM.
biffburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
twpanson

Name: TWP
Sale is going on at the website.
www.twptrade.com/autoparts
twpanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
How big of a difference does the sport made make?
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
twpanson

Name: TWP
Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
How big of a difference does the sport made make?
Reviews on scionlife http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178311

More reviews on Mazda6 forum: http://www.6crew.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10732
twpanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:44 AM   #12
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Seems neat but I would rather spend money on other mods.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
misformartin
Full Access Member

this this is great... because there is a noticable lag on the stock system.... plus having the different settings would be a great for when you are on long hauls to be able to go into an eco mode : ) this is one of those mods like the underdrive pulley.... doesnt really add power but makes the car more fun to drive
Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #14

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
Seems neat but I would rather spend money on other mods.
such as? very limited as to what is already provided to us as far as price range goes. price is not bad compare to other things
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by xd_kidd View Post
such as? very limited as to what is already provided to us as far as price range goes. price is not bad compare to other things
Sway bars
lowering springs
strut tower bar
HID's
custom CAI
LED's

All of this can be had for under $150. I just come from a different car culture, people did stuff like this when I was into 4th gen F-bodys and C5 Y-Bodys. People would adjust throttle cable length to adjust throttle response. Unless this was being done for performance purposes those people were made fun of and called domestic ricers. I rather what and see if anyone can actually come out with tuning software for this car.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
misformartin
Full Access Member

well i doubt anyone is going to come out with tuning software... this is just basicallly adjusting the signal sent from the drive by wire sensor... so it improves throttle response... problem is with you cant just reflash the ecu as it is constantly relearning damn those toyota engineers.. haha so the only way would be to go with a piggyback or full standalone.. even then tuning a naturally aspirated car you wont see huge numbers... i agree that this car is pretty nimbe in comparisions to other in its class... with the addition to some suspension pieces can make this car very fun to drive... i would say that this is a great supporting mod to others you may already have such as intake and exhaust... its just one of those things that make the car more fun to drive... : )
Old 02-25-2010, 12:51 AM   #17
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by misformartin View Post
well i doubt anyone is going to come out with tuning software... this is just basicallly adjusting the signal sent from the drive by wire sensor... so it improves throttle response... problem is with you cant just reflash the ecu as it is constantly relearning damn those toyota engineers.. haha so the only way would be to go with a piggyback or full standalone.. even then tuning a naturally aspirated car you wont see huge numbers... i agree that this car is pretty nimbe in comparisions to other in its class... with the addition to some suspension pieces can make this car very fun to drive... i would say that this is a great supporting mod to others you may already have such as intake and exhaust... its just one of those things that make the car more fun to drive... : )
I have to call BS on tuning and say it is a ploy by after market companies to make money. Adaptive ECU's have been around since the 80's and yet for some reason only domestic and euro cars seem to have the option to use a laptop as a tuner. This is the main reason why I will NEVER buy an Asian import as a performance car. I see no reason why I need to drop a grand on a stand alone ECU when the stock unit is perfectly capable of handling basic tuning. As for power increases, I gained around 9 RWHP on a stock LT1 Z28, add in intake and exhaust that number increased to 27 RWHP. I was also able to adjust my speedo for tires, lower my coolant fan activation temps, and monitor my engine's performance at all times. Since the xD is tuned to 87 octane I have no doubt their would be a power increase if a 93 octane tune was installed.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 AM   #18
misformartin
Full Access Member

Default 1
i doubt its ploy as the aftermarket company... as far as i am informed the new toyotas use a 64 bit ecu.... which is constantly relearning the way you drive.... perfect example is the 2nd gen xb.. those running turbo's are having problem with the ecu not working all the time.... as the ecu adapts to wha the fic are doing... so it requires them to reset the ecu from time to time... as far as comparing your american v8 to a 4 cylinder econo car is like apples to oranges... even stock they have to detune that v8 to adhere to local and federal emission laws.... so hence changing the intake and header will yeild more power... were as these econo cars are already running at pretty much its max efficiency to keep gas and drivability. as far as 93 octange goes the xd doesnt do very well with anything besides 91... there were pics of a motor that has been running 91 since they purchased and and there was alot of residue as the motor was not burning it all....
Old 02-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #19
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

i doubt its ploy as the aftermarket company... as far as i am informed the new toyotas use a 64 bit ecu.... which is constantly relearning the way you drive.... perfect example is the 2nd gen xb.. those running turbo's are having problem with the ecu not working all the time.... as the ecu adapts to wha the fic are doing... so it requires them to reset the ecu from time to time... as far as comparing your american v8 to a 4 cylinder econo car is like apples to oranges... even stock they have to detune that v8 to adhere to local and federal emission laws.... so hence changing the intake and header will yeild more power... were as these econo cars are already running at pretty much its max efficiency to keep gas and drivability. as far as 93 octange goes the xd doesnt do very well with anything besides 91... there were pics of a motor that has been running 91 since they purchased and and there was alot of residue as the motor was not burning it all....
The reason so much residue was in the engine is because of the tuning since the engine is set to run on 87. I promise you a good tuner could get an xD to run on 93 without a residue left behind. My LT1 V8 was probably running closer to max then the 4 banger in my Scion since the engine was designed to run on nothing less than 91 octane and the timing was already fairly aggressive. Plus as far as I can remember even the older Asian cars had to run on an after market ecu.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #20

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
That was my xD, and I agree that with a good tune it would burn more efficiently and offer more power... I would like to note as well though that running on 87 octane as appose to 91-93 octane is noticeably different, with the higher octane fuel, the xD is much, much peppier...

Try 91 octane for a couple weeks and then switch back to 87...

Last edited by TheLittleDeviant; 02-25-2010 at 12:26 PM.
TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote