Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Name: Anthony
Default 60K maintanance/ mpg issue
I just changed my oil about 300 miles ago, im currently at 58.700 miles. so i see according to the manual i should do a spark plug change and a trans flush in addition. can either of those two things affect my gas milage??? Driving like an a$$ is behind me, im really trying to be conservative but somehow im just barely gettin 25 ave. mpg (mainly city) I would think with my intake/exhaust combo my gas milage would be somewhat decent but, its not. Anybody have any thoughts on what could be affecting my gas milage that bad (im not even meeting the city average according to the company of 28 mpgs)

Old 11-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Looking at my maintenance schedule and it shows nothing about performing either of those services at 60,000 miles. Who did these services and are you sure they used the correct fluid and more importantly did they use the correct gap and heat range for the plugs.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
Looking at my maintenance schedule and it shows nothing about performing either of those services at 60,000 miles. Who did these services and are you sure they used the correct fluid and more importantly did they use the correct gap and heat range for the plugs.
idk if maybe the manual is different? i got the pdf version and it says the 3 main things to do: oil change, trans flush, spark plug replacement. i didnt do the trans flush or change the plugs yet. i really think it could be the plugs contributing to this mpg issue. my mpgs have been terrible for the past month or so and i really cant figure out why? its gotten so noticable that if i fill up my tank and drive only 40 miles, one bar from the our gas gage disappears. it never use to be like that, i could go 60 sumtimes 70 miles before one bar drops off. its so wierd.

Last edited by XDevolution; 11-22-2011 at 11:59 PM.
XDevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

http://www.scion.com/assets/pdf/xD_m...ceguide_08.pdf

At 60K miles all that is recommended is an oil change, rotation, and air filter replacement.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #5

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

could run some techron through it to see if that would help. cant hurt.
ThisorThatxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #6

jester4666
Full Access Member

Name: Jeff
Originally Posted by XDevolution View Post
I just changed my oil about 300 miles ago, im currently at 58.700 miles. so i see according to the manual i should do a spark plug change and a trans flush in addition. can either of those two things affect my gas milage??? Driving like an a$$ is behind me, im really trying to be conservative but somehow im just barely gettin 25 ave. mpg (mainly city) I would think with my intake/exhaust combo my gas milage would be somewhat decent but, its not. Anybody have any thoughts on what could be affecting my gas milage that bad (im not even meeting the city average according to the company of 28 mpgs)
wow. i have about 1000 miles less on mine and i'm still averaging 30-31mpg city....of course mine is still completely stock.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Sounds like something is hurting it somewhere. I know EPA estimates of 28 mpg mean nothing becuase that is also average some people may get more some less. But I haven't heard of anyone getting that low. When I drive the car. Driving like I want to go fast i still get 28 to 31 avg depending. (MPG Guage shows 30 to 34.)

How is your filter? Clean or really dirty?

Does it seem to be driving fine, i.e. no loss in power? I would pull each plug and check it. Maybe one of the plugs is going or has gone out.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
Sounds like something is hurting it somewhere. I know EPA estimates of 28 mpg mean nothing becuase that is also average some people may get more some less. But I haven't heard of anyone getting that low. When I drive the car. Driving like I want to go fast i still get 28 to 31 avg depending. (MPG Guage shows 30 to 34.)

How is your filter? Clean or really dirty?

Does it seem to be driving fine, i.e. no loss in power? I would pull each plug and check it. Maybe one of the plugs is going or has gone out.
I cleaned the filter thoroughly about 600 miles ago. with filter cleaner. now im getting 26 mpgs the past day as my ave. its very slowly going up. but i think it might be my spark plugs. the car runs great. no problems at all that notice. i pass fuel system cleaner through the gas tank evry time i do an oil change. probably alittle more often than that sometimes. its so wierd cus before i installed the support bars, new tires, and alignment i was getting 29 as my average.i checked my tire pressure, i made sure that the rear support bar is not affecting the gas tank bcuse it actually uses the rear bolts that holds the tank and thats tight in there. ?????

Old 11-26-2011, 03:11 AM   #9
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Did you change to a different size tire? What makes you think the plugs are the cause of your problem? You can pull the plugs if you want and check for gap widening and discoloration.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #10

jester4666
Full Access Member

Name: Jeff
i would think that if the plugs were your problem, you'd see issues elsewhere instead of just your gas mileage.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by jester4666 View Post
i would think that if the plugs were your problem, you'd see issues elsewhere instead of just your gas mileage.
i still have the stock steelies. idk from friends who have had similar problems they found it to be a spark plug issue. but now im thinking its the actuall gas sensor. cus i can drive a good 200 miles have a quarter tank left and the if i look at the meter that says how many miles are left in my tank it always reads with 1/4 of a tank i only have 30 miles left, which is highly unlikely. on top of when i warm up the car the average mpg drops like a whole 10 mpgs. i started my car today and it read 33 ave. mpg and when the car was warmed up and i actually put it into drive it was at 22.6 ave mpgs. it drops so fast and takes forever to get back up.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #12

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
If you drive with the the climate control temp knob set to extreme left of right, that triggers the a/c to come on. Same if you have the defogger on. Second, have your alignment checked. I have discovered mine is way off as the inside tread blocks were completely worn away after one summer. Nice since I have been complaining about how the car likes to drift left to right and back.
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by jester4666 View Post
If the gap between the electrode and the plug increases your fuel economy will go down but the actual driving manners of the car will not change by much.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

i still have the stock steelies.
That not what I asked, are you still riding on the 195/60/16 size tires.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

on top of when i warm up the car the average mpg drops like a whole 10 mpgs. i started my car today and it read 33 ave. mpg and when the car was warmed up and i actually put it into drive it was at 22.6 ave mpgs. it drops so fast and takes forever to get back up.
I want you to think as to why the car would do this. Your engine is running yet the car is not moving (0 MPG) so yeah letting your car idle for extended periods of time will kill your overall MPG reading. You should only let a car run for maybe twenty seconds (less if it is warm outside) before putting it into gear and taking off down the road.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #14
XDevolution
Full Access Member

well i have 205/55/16 right now and my gas milage is actually decent now idk what the problem was or maybe there was none at all. im averaging 27.5 mpgs all city as for the warming up the car i usually wait 2-3 minutes before i drive off or until the green temp light goes off. alignment was just done not to long ago. i dont see any probs for right now.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #15
nguyen925

Name: jonathan
well i have 205/55/16 right now and my gas milage is actually decent now idk what the problem was or maybe there was none at all. im averaging 27.5 mpgs all city as for the warming up the car i usually wait 2-3 minutes before i drive off or until the green temp light goes off. alignment was just done not to long ago. i dont see any probs for right now.

If you still have issues, I think you should rethink your acceleration techniques. I used to have issues with my MPG only averaging out roughly 28-30 MPG but since I trained myself to drive more smoothly with the MPG AVG option showing on the dash. It helps me train my mind into driving a bit more calmly. Now I average 33 easily if I don't gas it hard at all, while still maintaining 65-75 MPH.
nguyen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Mikem53

Name: Mike
Driving habits will affect your gas mileage the most..
If your engine is running smoothly and no CEL being thrown.. then your plugs are most likely fine..
You might try a different brand of gas... This can affect mileage quite a bit.. especially if the percentage of ethanol is higher.. which varies among batches.
The oil companies also change the mixtures when the season change for warmer weather and mileage tends to drop some..