Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
THEHMONGYAJ87

Name: Enter your name or name you wish to be refered to as.
Default oem intake are with velocity stack.
Alright I just bought a bpi 3.5" velocity stack with a k&n filter to replace the stock air box. I haven't seen anyone use this on there xd before. Coming from hondas, they use v-stacks to smooth out the air. I haven't receive it yet so I'll update after I receive it and install it. I notice the plastic intake arm where the maf goes has these things in there around the maf sensor that will cause turbulence. I'll probably cut these out and smooth out the inside of the arm with a dremel and sand paper with the maf out. Just incase this might cause a check engine light, can anyone enlighten me on this. I do notice that aftermarket intakes don't have these around the maf so I shouldn't be worry about anything going wrong. Will post pics of install.
THEHMONGYAJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Hold up I'm confused here the air will unsmooth (I guess you can say that) when it enters the intakes and flows to the valves in head. What is the point of this device?
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
THEHMONGYAJ87

go seach on velocity stack. I can't really explain this, but at the filter, it creates a air buble and with a velocity stack the air will enter the intake smoother. I'll try to find a link to my old honda forums.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

here:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/15...ease-flow.html

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

and here:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/11...take-duct.html
Old 05-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #4

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
Ok ii guess ii think ii kno what he's saying. Because the shape of the head of the pipe. Its designed to get more air to flow creating more power as to the a normal end pipe. Air would try to cram all the air at once which makes less effiecient than the stacks. In theory and design it looks good. But idk if its gonna make much different. I give it a point for being creative tho. My friend had it on his ferio

Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
THEHMONGYAJ87

it won't make much different but it's there. it cost roughly $100 and perform the same or better than a tube with a filter that costs $150-300. add this to a aftermarket intake and you'll see better gains, not alot to notice but again it's there.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #6

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

wait. i just read the 1st link you posted and it said they lost power and had dyno (dyno 3 m5 forums) runs to show it... but the air duct idea isnt bad. and i read that some of the honda ppl retuned their cars to get some power. but we'll see when u get urs. wheres the a/f shot in those? and for the ppl running without filters.. dont we need filters?

Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
THEHMONGYAJ87

no u didn't understand it. the m5 forums had stock stacks tuned for the motor already and by changing the stacks to shorter wider ones, they lost low end. For hondas and toyota it might be different. I know lots of honda 4-bangers use v-stacks to improve their hp numbers and better run times, not so sure about toyota but I assume the same would benifit toyota motors too since they are so alike. For honda some manufactures produce intake with v-stack in their intakes like Mugen and Comptech/Ct-Engineering with success in improving hp and tq numbers. And shouldn't our ecu adjust/adapt to the new intake. just seeing if any scion owners are interested since I don't really see anyone using these. You can get a stack for $30-40 off ebay and any filter with a 6" diameter neck will fit. Just make sure you get a composite so your intake won't heat soak as much.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

oh and btw tuning your car will always get better gains. That goes for every mods, tunning your car always gets better gains in hp/tq #'s and mpg's.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Originally Posted by THEHMONGYAJ87 View Post
no u didn't understand it. the m5 forums had stock stacks tuned for the motor already and by changing the stacks to shorter wider ones, they lost low end. For hondas and toyota it might be different. I know lots of honda 4-bangers use v-stacks to improve their hp numbers and better run times, not so sure about toyota but I assume the same would benifit toyota motors too since they are so alike. For honda some manufactures produce intake with v-stack in their intakes like Mugen and Comptech/Ct-Engineering with success in improving hp and tq numbers. And shouldn't our ecu adjust/adapt to the new intake. just seeing if any scion owners are interested since I don't really see anyone using these. You can get a stack for $30-40 off ebay and any filter with a 6" diameter neck will fit. Just make sure you get a composite so your intake won't heat soak as much.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

oh and btw tuning your car will always get better gains. That goes for every mods, tunning your car always gets better gains in hp/tq #'s and mpg's.
I say grab a $20 $25 cone filter and slap on there and call it a day. No real need, at this time based on support, for the extra smooth intakes or at least for the cost of them. Your basically paying $80 to $100 more for minimal to no gains.

Also, not every mod will get you gains in HP and TQ. Everything must work together (which I am sure most people on here know). And some mods may lose you power if parts are mismatched. As it sits right this second I would be more interested in lower end to mid TQ and Power. Since I do alot of red light driving and all I want more power for the take off and launch than I do at the top end. You can have all the top end power in the world, but if you have no low end power you aren't going to get to that top end very fast. But also vice versa you can have all low end power but then you run out of top end power to early. I know this.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
THEHMONGYAJ87

i'm not telling everyone to get this, im just saying this to those who have bought their short rams for $150-300. yes this will not net the most gains but it nets the same or better gains that buying a short ram. this is just a opinion of mine and i want to share this with the fellow xd owners out there who are try to squeeze the most hp/tq out of their little box. this has been proven many times already that slapping a velocity stack on the end of a intake or turbo charger will yield better gains comparing to a intake without one. and with tuning you could gain more with this setup. it's just a cheap mod that will yield better gains than those $150-300 intakes out there. I notice that the xd doesnt have too much aftermarket support out there and just wanted to bring this along from what I've experience with hondas when i was modding them.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

I wasn't saying that you were telling people to do it. I agree with the intake thing as far as paying for a small piece of pipe that is not netting really any more gains (based on butt dyno) than just slapping a $20 cone filter. I just don't see the need if just doing it for a smooth intake.

Also just commenting on the fact that not everything is going to create a gain for all cars.

If people want to do it great, but if you show me with dynos that it make a big enough difference to support the funds I may do it.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
THEHMONGYAJ87

yes i'm sorry if i sounded alittle defensive. i'll correct myself, not all mods will improve hp/tq numbers. i meant to say tuning a car will always improve the car even if it was stock, but not worth it if you planning on adding more mods. our xd should adapt to the smoother more faster air flow. i'm not going to dyno this just for a intake change. it's just that if u planning on putting a intake on then mind as well do it rigt the first time than getting a filter and then changing it for a better intake later on. i'll post up pics after i get it and install it. won't be a noticable gain but oh well, better than nothing. cant wait to get this on and pull gsr's and xrs's out there....;P
Old 05-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #12

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

I mean yea it won't make much difference in power but in appearence it does. So I'll give you props for bringing. Something new to look at. That's what scions are designed for .. themes/appearence to the owners liking.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by THEHMONGYAJ87 View Post
yes i'm sorry if i sounded alittle defensive. i'll correct myself, not all mods will improve hp/tq numbers. i meant to say tuning a car will always improve the car even if it was stock, but not worth it if you planning on adding more mods. our xd should adapt to the smoother more faster air flow. i'm not going to dyno this just for a intake change. it's just that if u planning on putting a intake on then mind as well do it rigt the first time than getting a filter and then changing it for a better intake later on. i'll post up pics after i get it and install it. won't be a noticable gain but oh well, better than nothing. cant wait to get this on and pull gsr's and xrs's out there....;P
OK now we see on same level I see what you mean now. yes tuning the vehicle for the mods you put on will always benefit. I read it as meaning mods in general will always inmprove.

Will the velocity stack make a difference over me just slapping a cone filter on, in theory yes it should.

As xd_kidd said it will look better than what I have which in looks is a plus. And completely agree with making it your own.

And I applaud people making attempts at trying to find ways to increase mods for our car. Especially since there is no love for the xD. So I don't want my posts on here at anytime coming off as other wise even though I know they do. I like playing Devils Advicate though. There is a difference , not to you specifically, with someone saying hey this should work and it only cost this much and a person or company saying this will work but it will cost this much. You know again nothing at you personally with that just a general statement. But if some one comes on here and says it should work and tries it and it works as good or better than expected for less than other parts HELLZ YEAH then. Also I look at cost per increase.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

oh and good luck with it and I do hope it works out and you have a noticeable gain even in the butt dyno

Old 05-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #14

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

yea ii wouldnt mind owning one of these before ii swap motors next yr lol

so explain to me again on what parts to get... pictures help lol .. is there a slot for the maf? and ii want the purple stack in the end

Last edited by xd_kidd; 05-26-2011 at 12:41 PM.
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
THEHMONGYAJ87

Basically you just need the stack, a coupler and a 6" inlet filter. I'm planning on using the oem Maf sensor pipe and the stock intake arm until I can find a better replacement for it. I wanted a silicone intake tube intsead of the aluminum pipe intake to reduce as much heat soak as possible. The one bought is a BPI stack with a k&n filter from this website http://www.bpinitiatives.com/?gclid=...FRs5gwodWDK0rA
kinda pricey but the r&d put into making this is worth it. The one you posted up is made by blox, a replica of the BPI stack, however they offer it in aluminum and different anodize colors.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

I haven't found a picture of a xD with one yet so I'll post one up of after installation with and without filter.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #16

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

any idea as to when your getn it kinda curious to see it on a scion lol. so we can run it without filter? ii think ive seen a filter inside a stack.. or a cloth around the stack...

Old 05-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
THEHMONGYAJ87

Here are some things I'm thinking of for the xD. If someone with some fiberglass or carbon fiber fabing skills can fab/mold this up for the xD, then it would be awsome. Just clamp a dryer hose on the end of this and route cold air to your short ram intake or run your cold air intake straight to the air dam. Will look very nice too with the carbon fiber finish.

xD air dam: [IMG][/IMG]

J-racing air dam for jdm itr: [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Originally Posted by xd_kidd View Post
any idea as to when your getn it kinda curious to see it on a scion lol. so we can run it without filter? ii think ive seen a filter inside a stack.. or a cloth around the stack...
Hopefully I get it by the following week so I can install it and take pictures. You could run a pantyhoe or mesh or whatever you want to run on it to keep larger depris out.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #18

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

i dont think our ppl really kno much about fab esp myself. cowl scoop is available but idk where. not many where interested. maybe running funnel could work but i doubt it be much efficient

Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #19
THEHMONGYAJ87

Alright, so I received my stack and filter today. installed it and didn''t really feel any difference other than the intake got louder. plus my xd is an automatic so there's not much you will notice from it, but the rpm seems to climb faster, owell. It was a pretty tight fit because of the v-satck and the size of the filter. It was dark already and I used my phone to take pictures so sorry for the sh**ty pics.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #20

simmons0613
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Matt
it doesnt look much different than the spectre intake we all have. Just let up know how it drives over the next few days.

simmons0613 is offline   Reply With Quote