Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
pikopiko

Name: pikopiko
Lightbulb Buying a new car: Scion xD vs Veloster / your experiences
Hello everyone!

I recently crashed my '97 Civic LX and am buying a new car. I have reviewed numerous cars* and have concluded that the Scion xD and Hyundai Veloster are cars I would purchase. I would like to know what advantages or benefits the xD has over the Veloster? Why would I buy this car over the Hyundai? Are there things you lament about the Scion xD from a plain car/commuter point of view?

The price difference is not a big concern for me. What I value is reliability, usability, and well-built craftmanship. I take care of my car religiously (unless I'm crashing it!) so ease of maintenance and repair is important. I don't care if the car is automatic or manual. I intend on test driving these cars soon, but I have low expectations so I think either would be decent compared to my previous ride.

From research and first impressions, this is what I took away:

Veloster
  • Good: modern six-speed transmission, cool appearance, more horsepower and torque with better official fuel economy, standard cargo cover, tighter turning radius
  • Bad: unnecessary infotainment system/screen, no spare tire, wide expanse of glass in back (which worries me during a rear-end collision since my friend's head only fit under the glass but not ceiling)

xD
  • Good: easier versatility and use of space, cute appearance, more spartan dashboard and center console, smaller size (which will prove better in the city where I may move)
  • Bad: outdated automatic transmission (more readily available here), no covered center storage (acts as an armrest too)

I appreciate your help and any contributions you may have. Thanks.

* - I've compared amongst an Elantra GT and Accent hatchback, Scion tC, Chevy Spark and Sonic hatchback, Ford Focus and Fiesta hatchbacks, Honda Fit, Mazda 3 hatchback, Subaru Impreza hatchback.

Last edited by pikopiko; 01-03-2013 at 03:53 AM.
pikopiko is offline   Reply With Quote