Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Engine/Performance

Engine/Performance All things engine and performance.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Name: Anthony
Default Exhaust System
Ok i really need help with this decision, i've heard alot of specualtion about axle back exhausts for the xd and how they are more ideal and preferred over a full cat-back system. im stuck between the magnaflow cat-back and the precision muffler axleback, i need numbers quick...a cat'back for the tc claims 6hp and 7lbs of torque...can we expect the same result for our car or will it still be ideal to just get an axleback and again what are the hp and trq gains from that, i've heard strup dyno proved there axleback to 6hp...how true that is idk but again im just lookin for some further information.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #2
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Name: Thadeus
My understanding is that the magna flow cat back exhaust is not available. I would also like to get it. The precision muffler axleback I'm not to fond of because it doesn't look to be mandrel bent which can cause flow disruption. I think if you want a cat back you would have to have it custom made. I was thinking of getting the vibrant stealth exhaust and a couple of high flow resonators to make a custom exhaust for myself. If you have a custom exhaust made make sure they can mandrel bend what you need. I was going to get 2.25" piping. I wouldn't go above 2.5".
Whack-A-Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
XDevolution
Full Access Member

o wow i didnt know it wasnt available??? so many sites have it for sale. i have been non stop searchin for parts and i came across www.danstoy.net and viewed a list of potential products coming out for the xd, one being a cat back system with an hks ti muffler. i guess time will tell and xd owners would jus have to wait until more products come out, the car is still fairly new.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
I have been hearing roughly 4-6 HP is expected from an axle back, I have not seen any dynographs to back that up however.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
I have been hearing roughly 4-6 HP is expected from an axle back, I have not seen any dynographs to back that up however.
yup i've been hearing the same thing and if thats the case there really is no point in getting a cat-back cus the xd will probably just gain maybe an extra 1-2 hp if that. im not beat to spend an xtra 150 bucks to just add 2hp

Old 01-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
I believe Precision Muffler's axle back uses a magnaflow muffler...

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by TheLittleDeviant View Post
I believe Precision Muffler's axle back uses a magnaflow muffler...
Yep, Magnaflow can with PM's piping, flanges, and hangers.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

If you don't mind the crush bends, then it's a pretty good deal. The universal muffler alone cost about what they're asking.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
robbiej
Old Fart
Full Access Member

Name: Rob
I have the above axleback and love it, nice deep sound.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by robbiej View Post
I have the above axleback and love it, nice deep sound.
i want the same axleback, do you feel any power difference...quicker throttle response? im really interested in that specific axleback im just trying to gather more info from someone who actually has it.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #11
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by XDevolution View Post
i want the same axleback, do you feel any power difference...quicker throttle response? im really interested in that specific axleback im just trying to gather more info from someone who actually has it.
I have the same one as well.

A small review.

http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/sh...Sports+exhaust
Old 01-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
I have the same one as well.

A small review.

http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/sh...Sports+exhaust
that review helped alot thanks is it mandrel bent? cus sum1 stated that it has crushes in the bends and did u buy it directly from the precision muffler site or was there another website to purrchase it from? im sorry im asking alot of questions lol just really interested in that axleback

Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
robbiej
Old Fart
Full Access Member

Name: Rob
I think you can only get them from Precision Muffler. I got lucky and found one used on here.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #14

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
I just put the Strupp axle back on my Xd at Christmas. I honestly can't say whether it really adds 6hp or not. My ass dyno isn't that accurately calibrated.

It is very well made out of polished stainless, has smooth bends, fit perfectly and sounds really good, if maybe a little loud sometimes for my taste. It DOES NOT sound like one of those cheap "fart can" exhausts that drive me nuts when I hear them on other cars. It has a deep and rich tone. I did pick up a slight increase in MPG. I still average under 30 though. Not like some of you guys whose cars seem to make gas as they drive. (Cough, cough.... McBrew... etc...)

I picked mine up on sale and it seems that it is pretty easy to get their product for less than retail. Use club/forum references when you contact them if you are interested.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
XDevolution
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by TexXBox View Post
I just put the Strupp axle back on my Xd at Christmas. I honestly can't say whether it really adds 6hp or not. My ass dyno isn't that accurately calibrated.

It is very well made out of polished stainless, has smooth bends, fit perfectly and sounds really good, if maybe a little loud sometimes for my taste. It DOES NOT sound like one of those cheap "fart can" exhausts that drive me nuts when I hear them on other cars. It has a deep and rich tone. I did pick up a slight increase in MPG. I still average under 30 though. Not like some of you guys whose cars seem to make gas as they drive. (Cough, cough.... McBrew... etc...)

I picked mine up on sale and it seems that it is pretty easy to get their product for less than retail. Use club/forum references when you contact them if you are interested.
how much did you buy it for and how does the references work to give you a discount?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #16

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
I am a member of Scikotics as well and Strup sent out a flyer to members just before Christmas. Various discounts on items for year end clearance. I think it was 50% off retail. I don't remember the exact price.

I called and talked to Charlie himself to confirm the offer and then ordered it via the web site and pay pal. (I ordered some other stuff too, which is why I can't remember the exact price of the axle back itself.)

Most people I have talked to e-mail Strup to get a price and availability on what they want and mention the clubs/forums they are affiliated with at that time. Charlie has a reputation for treating people right and responding quickly to inquiries.

If I remember correctly Yellosub on this forum was in on the initial run/prototyping of the xD axle back and might have more info. There is a thread on here with a video and sound clip.

Here is the forum link: http://www.scionxdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723

Last edited by TexXBox; 01-18-2011 at 09:39 PM.
TexXBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #17
XDevolution
Full Access Member

O wow how do you become a member of scikotics

Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

that review helped alot thanks is it mandrel bent? cus sum1 stated that it has crushes in the bends and did u buy it directly from the precision muffler site or was there another website to purrchase it from? im sorry im asking alot of questions lol just really interested in that axleback
Honestly, I did not look it when I opened the box either way it will not make a difference on a 128 HP engine. Precisionmuffler's website is the only place you can buy the axleback from to my knowledge.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

O wow how do you become a member of scikotics
Go the forum and register and you are in. If their is a local chapter in your area you can join them as well.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

I don't agree that it won't make a difference. True we do have varying diameter pipe, but if you want to add to your axle back to make a cat back it would be an issue then. That's just my opinion. Here's a link to some pretty good info on building your own exhaust. The author was from SCC.http://www.mikekemper.com/elantra/diyexhaust/index.html
Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #20

xDTool
Full Access Member

Name: Bob
Send a message via AIM to xDTool Send a message via Yahoo to xDTool
i agree with chris that it really doesnt make a difference, this is an econobox with no real methods for power increase at the time (and if you are looking for lots more power, i suggest finding a different platform asap), so aside from the slight increase in gas mileage and a nice sound that you like, theres really no reason to start funneling money into squeezing every ounce of power out of your exhaust. just enjoy slow rolling to the tune of your chosen favorite axleback exhaust and dont worry about what varying degrees of back pressure and such you get form mandrel bent vs crush bent piping

my .02 cents
xDTool is offline   Reply With Quote